• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watch Out For Scammers!

bure

Reaction score
I almost got scammed right here on StyleForum!! Here's the story... I put a WTB ad up for a B.Son Fleece Button Hoodie and after a few days I get a PM from "aestheticcriteria" and the conversation goes like this:
Originally Posted by bure
Before I send payment I was wondering if you could send me a message from your eBay account? I sent you a message there, my user name is ***** on eBay. Regards, Nick
Originally Posted by aestheticcriteria
Originally Posted by bure
Originally Posted by aestheticcriteria
Hi, I've the hoodie for sale that you're looking for. Mint condition, for $95 including (int'l) shipping.
2679344945_be15ac2d2e312.jpg
For reference, my eBay ID is aestheticcriteria. I've you're interested I prefer payment through PayPal, hope to hear from you soon. Regards, Milosan.

Hi Milosan, I'm interested in that hoodie. Has it been dry cleaned or washed? Do you have a chest measurement for it or is it the same as described on contextclothing.com? What is your Paypal email? Thanks, let me know!

Hi, I've worned it about 5 times and after that it's been dry cleaned. Measurements are about the same as described on Context Clothing, but it may be a bit more narrow cause it's been dry cleaned but I don't think you can really notice it when you wear it if you've a natural M size. My PayPal-address is milosan******[email protected] Regards, Milosan.

So I sent him a message from my eBay account and I get a message back saying: "Dear *****, Hi. I don't know what you are referring to. It seems as if you have the wrong person. Thank you. - aestheticcriteria" So angry.... I wanted that hoodie bad
censored.gif
I was going to blank out his email address, but whatever, he deserves to go to hell. Moral of the story, be careful who you trust... PS: If I had sent payment via Paypal, would there be anything I could do? Would I be able to get his address/information through Paypal etc.? PPS: I want revenge.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Don't do business here without people who don't have a few hundred posts. You did the right thing by checking via ebay.

Booshi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
Don't do business here without people who don't have a few hundred posts. You did the right thing by checking via ebay.

You mean with people who don't have a few hundred posts, right?
teacha.gif
Sorry, I know I'm a bastard.

On topic, thanks for the heads up. I think this applies more to sellers who have less than 100 posts, though. I've bought one or two things on here, and my post count barely clears the single digits.

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PS: If I had sent payment via Paypal, would there be anything I could do? Would I be able to get his address/information through Paypal etc.?
No, you'd only have protection if it were done through eBay. You could have filed a claim if you didn't receive it, and if he were not able to provide tracking info, he'd be held responsible. You still wouldn't be guaranteed your money back though, if the funds were not in his account. (with insufficient funds, his paypal account would have be frozen)

When you make a payment you would have his first/last name and you could use that to find other information but other than that, no information would be available.

mpcec

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason

This isn't necessarily a good rule of thumb. I would say don't do business with users who can't provide references/ or whose references don't check out.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Also, looking at the user noted, it's clear this person has never posted a single time. That's a pretty big red flag.

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
paypal is usually pretty good about refunding your money if you dont get your item

kubrick555

Reaction score
I don't think a person needs a few hundred posts--just make sure to look at their old posts and see if they are actually an active member.

Lots of scammers out there...especially with popular items like that hoodie.

osho

Reaction score
Well I dealt with a senior member (2500 post count) from this forum and paid that person through Paypal about 2 months ago, and so far nothing has come in the mail. Unfortunately I took his word and did not file a Paypal claim, because he promised to refund me my money. He is now ignoring my messages and emails, so much for high post count theory.

True, there are lots of scammers out there, and post count is just a guide not a guarantee.

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FlyingLotus
paypal is usually pretty good about refunding your money if you dont get your item

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think they can only refund you money with the money in that person's Paypal account. If that person's Paypal balance is $0, they can't just take money from the person's bank account.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really don't understand the reluctance to post peoples' names if they are obviously having their way with you. Let the rest of us know.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NaTionS
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think they can only refund you money with the money in that person's Paypal account. If that person's Paypal balance is $0, they can't just take money from the person's bank account.

i don't think so, but i could be wrong. i was scammed on another forum for $40 or so and it was pretty clear that the seller had no intention of selling/shipping anything (he screwed over multiple people on the same FS thread by telling his he wrote all the addresses on the packages wrong).

anyhow, i think once you file the dispute and you have strong documentation supporting why you got hosed, paypal will rule in your favor. i laid everything out in a timeline manner, keeping every PM and email, between myself and the scammer.

osho

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
I really don't understand the reluctance to post peoples' names if they are obviously having their way with you. Let the rest of us know.
I am not sure if this message was directed towards me, but I am going to wait one more day for him to get back to me, more like a last chance to do the right thing.
smile.gif

introstand

Reaction score
He contacted me on SuFu selling APC NS.
Luckely I found this thread.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Staff online

Forum statistics