• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watch Opinion

kcc

Reaction score
The Rolex watch consistently retains its value - consider one. As a casual/sportsy watch the Explorer Model 6098 (Movement A296) is unrivaled.

btinl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kcc
The Rolex watch consistently retains its value - consider one. As a casual/sportsy watch the Explorer Model 6098 (Movement A296) is unrivaled.

This really depends on what you define as retaining value. Most rolex watches will lose 20% of their value as soon as you walk out of the AD's door.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've bought and sold probably 50 watches on Timezone, PM me if you hav any questions.

Buying a used watch is your best bet, I can't count how many times I thought I would love the watch, but once I got it it was too big/small, uncomfortable, etc. I lost $2K on one watch because I bought it at retail on a whim, and sold it a week later.

As long as the seller has been around awhile, has a decent post count/reputation list, and communicates well I wouldn't hesitate. No boxes or papers is a personal choice, it doesn't mean the watch is fake or anything.

Why not go to an AD and try some watches on? $5K - $6K on the used market will get you a LOT of watch, don't be afraid to branch out or maybe get two watches for more variety.

Panerai's are nice, and you can always buy a $100 Marina Militare homage to see if you like the size and look. I had one for awhile and it was uncomfortable on my wrist.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by btinl
This really depends on what you define as retaining value. Most rolex watches will lose 20% of their value as soon as you walk out of the AD's door.

True, if you pay retail. I bought a Sub for $3600 on TZ, wore it for a year, and sold it for...$3600. That being said, I laugh at the people who consider watches "investments." LOL

IBJanky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Twotone
I'd go with an Omega Seamaster, Speedmaster or Railmaster. Panerai are nice watches, just not for me.

Twotone

I agree. If I were you, I'd get a watch that I can dress up, or dress down.

I'd go with an Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean. Looks nice with casual clothes, and goes great with a suit also.

I just recently got mine after a year of drooling over it:

omegapo_04.jpg

omegapo_09.jpg

myke

vbuskirk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rufus
I am looking for a watch .. that is simple and classic.
Sounds like you might possibly be rushing things just a bit. Enjoy the process of the decision as well. The hunt is just as fun as the kill. Ohhh, and mine says "hi".
PAM_112_odd.jpg

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
+1 on what foo said, get the pam111.

Rufus

Reaction score
After a few days of subtle brainwashing on Paneristi.com and here and after trying both on multiple times I ended up going with the 111. Once i had tried it on a few times the 44mm case didnt seem so big and I like the cleaner face much better. Anyway, thanks for the help!

citizenshame

Reaction score
Go for the full 42mm PAM, preferably a 111, if you want classic versatile style.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always liked the 112 more than the 111.

The small seconds hand on the 111 just looks odd IMO. The only "good" thing about it (again, to me) is that it shows that the watch is automatic.

Icehawk

Reaction score
Try one on. How does it look on your wrist? I'm a smaller guy with thin wrists and a Panerai looks ridiculous on me (but I think the whole giant watch thing is
ffffuuuu.gif
). I do like their styling though, super chunky. The one you posted I definitely like btw but not sure if it is formal enough to be the "one watch" with the simple dial and chunky shape.

I'm a Rolex guy - priced decently, have catchet with watch people and normal Joes without being flash (if you go SS), and lots of choices in case size, dial type, etc. A new SS Date is right around your price so a used one should net you a decent discount. They make a smaller case size too (same as Air King and Explorer) if you find the standard one is too big, I doubt it since you are look at a Panarai though.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by btinl
Have patience. They pop up pretty frequently. Whenever you buy on TZ, make sure you check references. Always exercise due diligence.

Apologies for the basic question, but how does one check references on TZ? Do you ask the seller for references so you can follow-up or is there some other way (such as EBay history)?

Many thanks.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^ there is a reference check section there

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by longskate88
That being said, I laugh at the people who consider watches "investments." LOL

Shhhh... dont tell my wife that. She thinks I'm building juniors college fund with each purchase.

dl

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads