• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watch maintenance

Another New Yorker

Reaction score
Hey guys, for high school graduation my uncle gave me his Omega speedmaster (hardly a vintage patek but it is a fine gift I think), and I was wondering how I should go about taking care of it? Given my age, I'm no big timer (I don't think I am even a middle timer), and with the exception of an old montblanc and a pair of interesting cuff links I have no clue how to treat nice things. This is a watch that I'll be wearing thus I feel I should take a more active role in making sure it stays nice. Are there any steps that should be taken? Are watches cleaned/polished? Regular trips to the doctor?

I would also like to hear some opinions about the Omega Speedmaster in general as well.

Thank you!

Singular

Reaction score
Great watch.

Don't do violent sports with it. Don't swim or shower with it. Leave it to a good watchmaker for service every five years. Change the strap now and then. Enjoy it!

/M

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like Singlar said, avoid water in all forms, especially hot water like showers and hot tubs. They will not only invade the mechanism, but also ruin the gaskets. There are a lot of speedy models, but if you have a manual wind version, don't overwind it - once a day and wind back and forth, not just in one direction- it shouldn't matter too much, but for that last wind when it becomes tighter, you will reduce some stress on the stem. For the automatic versions the same goes in terms of not overwinding, but if you wear it regularly and you won't have to wind it. The Speedmaster is a very historied watch and one of the nicer chronographs out there. Treat it well, but there's no need to baby it. Like all mechanical watches it will be precise, but not accurate. Meaning, it should be within the same amount of seconds off each day and slowly drift in one direction or the other- either positive or negative. You can figure out how to lay it at night to help balance this effect. But, it will be predictably off. It will not be, like a quartz watch, accurate. Nor will it be exact like a radio controlled cell phone. Don't worry about a few seconds here or there. But, when it starts to drift a lot, or if the winding mechanism becomes grainy like sand between your fingers, or it gets water inside, send it to someone good to clean and oil the movement. I would use Omega's authorized service center in the US or RGM http://www.rgmwatches.com/repair.html. Good luck. Great watch.

xudisco07

Reaction score
I don't see why he should avoid water with the watch. By avoiding water you are babying it, unless this is something specific with the Speedmaster.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xudisco07
I don't see why he should avoid water with the watch. By avoiding water you are babying it, unless this is something specific with the Speedmaster.

In general, it's a good idea to avoid water with any watch that doesn't have a screwdown crown regardless of the WR rating.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xudisco07

The traditional speedmaster is WR to 50m, which essentially means surface water. It can come into contact with water, but not submerged, unless in perfect conditions. Those perfect conditions exist when the watch is first pressure tested, but never again, once shipped, sitting in a case under hot lights, and then worn.

A chronograph without screwdown pushers is especially susceptible to water. Hit the chrono button when washing your hands and you may be letting water into the case. The gaskets around the pushers are not nearly as secure as around the crown- which screws down, or the caseback, which of course is screwed in or pressure fit. The pusher's gaskets are designed to give and allow the buttons to be pushed to activate the chrono. Consequently the seal is not as secure.

Traditional speedmasters are on leather straps too. Those don't do too well when wet. A bracelet prevents that from being a problem, but not the former.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scurvyfreedman
The traditional speedmaster is WR to 50m, which essentially means surface water. It can come into contact with water, but not submerged, unless in perfect conditions.
It's more complicated than this. Submerging should be fine, as should washing your hands, etc. But being "waterproof" (nobody uses that term any more, prefering the much more weasely "water resistant") to 50 meters really means that the watch won't leak up to pressures of about 5 atmospheres or 75 psi. That sounds like a lot, but it isn't. For example, you can probably snorkel around all you want wearing the watch. But jump into the pool wearing it and you might well get a leak. That's because you can easily generate a momentary burst of very high pressure (dynamic pressure) when your watch hits the water. As an example, if your watch hits the water -- or the water hits your watch -- at about 20mph, you would be right at the rated tolerance for your watch. You can generate this much dynamic pressure by slapping the water with your hand. So 50 meter water resistance is pretty iffy. 100+ meters starts to be pretty solid as anything likely to make your watch leak will probably also break your hand. Plus, you have some leeway for degrading seals, etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads