• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watch help - $1500 range

closetmess

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been offered a watch for graduating law school from my dad, who said to keep it in the $1500 range. Is there a classic daily use dress watch (working in a business law firm) that can be had for this amount? I am also in a position to "buy up" a few hundred dollars if need be as well. For example, I really like this B&M that comes in around $2000 that has the look I'm going for.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Much appreciated.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the dress chronograph category, I have this Longines and like it very much. The dial texture is very attractive in person and it's a rather clean dial for a chronograph. It's also at your desired price point.

L26294783.jpg
WAYWT_8nov_4.jpg

closetmess

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
In the dress chronograph category, I have this Longines and like it very much. The dial texture is very attractive in person and it's a rather clean dial for a chronograph. It's also at your desired price point.

That is definitely the style I am looking for and the right price ($1575 on Gemnation). I forgot to mention that I have girly small wrists so would be looking for a diameter under 40mm.

Any other suggestions?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by closetmess
That is definitely the style I am looking for and the right price ($1575 on Gemnation). I forgot to mention that I have girly small wrists so would be looking for a diameter under 40mm.

The same watch exists in 38.5mm IIRC. It's also cheaper

spoiledone

Reaction score
Oris Artellier (automatic). I believe it is 40 mm exactly and can be had for around $800 online.
DSC_0004-5.jpg

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For around $2000 I would go with an Omega Aqua Terra like this - but it may be too sporty for your use?

They also have something a little dressier, like this.

(I don't know any of the sites I linked to; I just wanted to show some pics from places that has these at about $2k.)

mikeber

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kaplan
For around $2000 I would go with an Omega Aqua Terra like this - but it may be too sporty for your use?

They also have something a little dressier, like this.

(I don't know any of the sites I linked to; I just wanted to show some pics from places that has these at about $2k.)

Surprisingly, Kaplan didn't exist:

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the Omega Aqua Terra would be worth kicking in the little bit of extra cash. I love this watch because it's dressy enough for business use, but still 150m water resistant and just as tough as the SMP so you can beat it up on the weekend if you want. If I had a suit job and wanted one watch to do it all, this would be it. Get it on a nice leather strap and you are all set.

sfo423

Reaction score
Look at Muhle Glashutte; something you don't see every day, excellent quality, well priced. Most at a min. of 40mm (I think a 42mm is the perfect sized watch). You could get several models <$2k.

If you want a manual, see if pop will up the budget a bit then you have a lots more options.

PLaydice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would go for a second hand watch off of ebay or craigslist, you could get a watch retailing over 5000 if you get lucky enough. I got an hermes H Hour maxi watch for 500 and a cartier santos watch for 1200 off of craigslist in my area.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd be careful of ebay, but you can easily get a used Omega Speedmaster from a reputable member at timezone.com in your price range. Mine was ~$1,600, but it was a good deal. Just be sure to check references, and ideally find someone to meet locally at a jeweler to verify the watch. I'd second the Aqua Terra as well, though I'd get the silver face if you want dressy. I have both those watches (though my Speedy is a Broad Arrow) and they both came in under your price cap. AT (sorry about the terrible pic)
img1222796644855.jpg
Broad Arrow (on Gator strap)
P1010283.jpg

Siggy

Reaction score
That Longines is very nice. I'd go for something like that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads