• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watch for about $2k (or less)

jmoody15

Reaction score
So I'm horribly picky, as we all should be, and have had some trouble picking out the perfect watch. I walked into a store a few weeks ago with my wife, and tripped up on this. I thought $2k was well out of the price range, but my wife said that if that's what I want, then that's what I should get. I still have to put back money for it, but thought I'd get opinions here first.

Here are my requirements:
- Simple, white face
- Silver
- Durable
- Leather strap

Is this my best bet, or are there other solid options?

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just picked up this Seiko for $65, took it off the bracelet and put it on a nice croc strap. Running +2 seconds/day for three weeks now.

SEIKOWRIST2.jpg

More upscale considerations include:

Seiko Spirit
Oris
Hamilton
Ball
Tissot
Tutima
Archimede
Omega

$2k also buys a very nice, gently used watch. Try on as many as you can and get the one you like the best.

Twotone

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
That is a fine choice. if you would consider rectangular try Baume et Mercier Hampton Square 8607. Not as easy to find as a Tag. I have one. Also, if you want to bargain hunt, try www. watchuseek.com Great deals from watch nuts. I paid $600 for the watch I have just recommended and it retails on discount watch sites for about $1,600. You can't tell if from new and the people on the site are as fanatical about the condition of what they are buying/selling as the people on this site. Good luck.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jmoody15
Is this my best bet, or are there other solid options?

I like that Tag. If it's what you like, you should get it.

Personally, I would go used. Watches are like cars -- a mint condition watch that's not brand new will go for about half price. My favorite place to look is timezone.com's sales corner. Like Mr. Lee said, the people on that forum and watchuseek are fanatics. I have bought several times and if they say "like new" it is absolutely brand new, not even a crease in the strap.

PEG

Reaction score
If you push hard on an authorized dealer (the warranty is important), you might consider a Breitling Colt II Automatic. They have black, light blue and silver (white) dials and you can configure the bracelet or strap as you choose. I got one from an authorized dealer with the blue dial, on a Pro II bracelet (steel) and they threw in a leather strap - all for $2k.

http://www.breitlingsource.com/reviews_colt_auto2.shtml

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
See signature. I want both.

Stowa Marine ~ $1000-1200
stowa_mo3.jpg

Archimede Pilot ~$500
3614042103_879d0b2ef7_z.jpg

HEPennypacker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
I like that Tag. If it's what you like, you should get it.

Personally, I would go used. Watches are like cars -- a mint condition watch that's not brand new will go for about half price. My favorite place to look is timezone.com's sales corner. Like Mr. Lee said, the people on that forum and watchuseek are fanatics. I have bought several times and if they say "like new" it is absolutely brand new, not even a crease in the strap.

Agreed. I'd skip the TAG and get either a used Omega Seamaster or stretch a bit and get a used Rolex Sub or Datejust.

jmoody15

Reaction score
Some of these that you guys are suggesting don't quite fit the simplicity bill. I don't think anyone would call that Breitling a simple-faced watch. The Omega Seamaster is closer, but still doesn't fit the bill for simplicity. The Stowa and Archimede hit pretty close. I think the Tag still beats those, just for making the simplicity look a bit more elegant, but that purple-faced Archimede is just kick-ass, and just might be the watch I look at after this one.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With that sort of budget and wishlist I'd look at a Stowa or Nomos.

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ 'Gold' doesn't really fulfill the 'silver' requirement though
eh.gif

How about this:

B123_junghans_b3.JPG

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jmoody15
Some of these that you guys are suggesting don't quite fit the simplicity bill. I don't think anyone would call that Breitling a simple-faced watch. The Omega Seamaster is closer, but still doesn't fit the bill for simplicity. The Stowa and Archimede hit pretty close. I think the Tag still beats those, just for making the simplicity look a bit more elegant, but that purple-faced Archimede is just kick-ass, and just might be the watch I look at after this one.

Sorry to get your hopes up, but that is a black face, I think the glare off the glass is giving it a purple hue. But yes, I very much agree it is a kick-ass watch. A whole lot of watch for around $500

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eberhard makes a similar watch:

41028s.jpg

Extra-fort Automatic. It's just an ETA movement (the best quality of ETA, but hardly modified), but it's a decent Swiss watch with a reasonable history for the price (about the same as the TAG, I think), and not a mall brand. Not in the US, anyway.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll second the aforementioned timezone.com plug. I found a slightly used (mint condition) Omega Seamaster great white that I absolutely adore:

DSC_8617.jpg

They don't make them anymore, which makes the watch even more valuable to me. Would look great on a strap.

changy

Reaction score
Nomos Tangente is around $1000 EUR i believe. A LNIB was selling for around $500 EUR on WUS the other day, but I guess you would want a new one since your wife is buying.

08_nomos_tangente_03.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics