• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watch Faces - What is too big?

MarcDominic

Reaction score
I am looking at either getting a Tag Carrera or a Baume & Mercier Classima Executive (My range is $2000)

The Tag I like is 38.5mm. The Baum & Mercier watches I like, some are 39mm and some are 42mm. Is 42mm too big and gaudy? I'm thinking it might be.

Probably going get one with a steel band, as this would be the most versatile I think (I wear t-shirt and jeans lot when not in work clothes). I think I'd also purchase a tan colored ostrich or alligator leather strap to switch it up sometimes. Will this look stupid with black shoes and belt or, let's say, a black sweater. Or is that just too nitpicky?

1st watch is 38.5mm (Carrera). 2nd and 3rd are 39mm. 4th and 5th are 42mm.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

MarcDominic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MarcDominic
I am looking at either getting a Tag Carrera or a Baume & Mercier Classima Executive (My range is $2000)

The Tag I like is 38.5mm. The Baum & Mercier watches I like, some are 39mm and some are 42mm. Is 42mm too big and gaudy? I'm thinking it might be.

Probably going get one with a steel band, as this would be the most versatile I think (I wear t-shirt and jeans lot when not in work clothes). I think I'd also purchase a tan colored ostrich or alligator leather strap to switch it up sometimes. Will this look stupid with black shoes and belt or, let's say, a black sweater. Or is that just too nitpicky?

1st watch is 38.5mm (Carrera). 2nd and 3rd are 39mm. 4th and 5th are 42mm.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sorry, atttachments wont show.

wv211a.ba0787n_main.jpg

8837_main.jpg

8836_main.jpg

8868_main.jpg

8731_main.jpg

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on your size, and on the details of the watch in question. All of the watches you are contemplating are reasonably sized on all but the most diminutive wrists.

The Carrera is a true classic. Since you seem to gravitate toward lighter-faced watches, may I suggest another for consideration?

IMG_0363.jpg

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acridsheep
Depends on your size, and on the details of the watch in question. All of the watches you are contemplating are reasonably sized on all but the most diminutive wrists.

The Carrera is a true classic. Since you seem to gravitate toward lighter-faced watches, may I suggest another for consideration?

IMG_0363.jpg

I believe that particular GMT has been discontinued, though I'd advocate spending a little more and going with an Aqua Terra. They retail for nearly $4k but can be had for about 1/3 off from an AD with little trouble. Also consider an IWC MK XVI Spitfire. I don't like it as much as the classic, but it has the light face (if they're still doing that version).

As to the size, I would say bigger than 42mm starts to look goofy unless your wrist is really large. Similarly, today anyting less than 36mm is a bit too small for all but the thinnest wrists. While my ideal is probably 38mm, my watches range from 38-40 and all fit me pretty well.

Bandit44

Reaction score
As others have said, it depends on the design. Here's a 42mm Aqua Terra on my 7.75 inch wrist. It wears rather large since it is practically all dial.
IMG_0081.jpg
My Seamaster Professional is 41mm, but looks much smaller.
IMG_0028.jpg
And here's one that is 38mm.
IMG_0004.jpg

ktrp

Reaction score
I'd guess if you have average male wrists, 42 will look totally normal.

I have fairly small wrists, and I prefer 37-38.

Phil.H

Reaction score
Acceptable watch size diameters have been growing over the years...

40-42 is pretty much standard. I have small wrists myself and generally prefer the 36-38 size. As already noted, design will affect the look. I feel that 42mm with mostly dial showing is a little too big for me yet I tried on a 45mm watch recently that actually looked fine due to the design. Basically YMMV.

erivs

Reaction score
I think 42 is now considered normal. When the rolex sub was introduced in the mid fifties at around 40mm it was considered big, now with brands as panerai pushing 45mm+, 42 shouldnt really be that big of a deal. It is truly a matter of personal taste, but in my opinion the 45mil luminor on my (relatively thin) wrist looks fine.

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you can not see your wrist beyond the end of the lugs, it's too big.

erivs

Reaction score
Forgot to say, great choices. IMHO if you're gonna use it as a daily all around watch, get the steel strap. Carrera black face all steel auto would be my choice. I think you can get it on amazon for around 1600$. Changing to the leather strap is more of a hassle, taking it to the dealer or watch repair shop.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cafezeenuts
I say 42mm is about the max size for an average wrist..
I tend to agree. I hate oversized watches.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics