• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watch Alternatives

racetrack

Reaction score
Long story short, a friend is looking to purchase the following watch:

rolex-president1.jpg

It's a Rolex Day-Date II in all yellow gold. Something like that is going to run around $30k in Canada give or take a few grand.

Now I've tried to dissuade him from what seems to me to be such a tacky purchase, but he seems pretty adamant about it.

I'm looking for alternative Rolex watches (has to be Rolex. don't ask. not my condition). Given a limit of 40k, what Rolex would you pick for formal events?... or maybe I'm wrong and this is awesome. Either way, let me know!

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would not pick that Rolex for fomal events (other than rap star weddings in Vegas). A formal watch is small, gold, thin on a leather strap. $40k buys some much nicer watches from Patek Philippe, Lange, AP, Vacheron Constantin, Breguet, Blancpain, JLC just to name a few.

GBear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you serious? There are so many better options than Rolex...If so, Submariner in white gold looks okay I guess.

Like Twotone said, if he had half a brain, he would buy something actually worth his money like PP, ALC, JLC, VC, AP, or UN. There's a few others but I would suggest these. Unless he wipes his ass with $100 bills, he should look into these manufacturers.

dirtyturk

Reaction score
I wouldn't wear that watch if someone gave it to me for free. Rolex makes good watches but they are by no means the best. A solid gold watch is definitely not classy. For that kind of money he should get a limited edition tourbillon that won't lose its value exponentially.

for that kind of money you should tell him to look into Breguet, Patek, Frank Muller, Richard Mille. If he likes flashy then Hublot, Audemars, Ulysse Nardin, Parmigiani... but over $10k for a watch is a bit much.

Dean Keaton

Reaction score
For 40 k $ he should definitely go for Patek. So much more classy.

Rolex is good for sport wacthes, like Daytona, or Submariner, and the vintage ones kick ass. Nevertheless, the President is definitely not worth the money in my opinion.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't let these internet jackasses talk you out of what you want.

But what you want not what some douchbag suggest you get.

"I wouldn't wear such a watch if give for free..."
rolleyes.gif

rs232

Reaction score
If it's got to be a day date, here's an instant improvement (Get rid of the jewels on the face):
118239.jpg
These seem to be staples:
sub1.jpg
116710LN.jpg

Nautilus

Reaction score
If I was spending 40K on a watch, I certainly wouldn't want to get something that already looks dated, like a yellow gold Rolex. I also would want something I could wear well with a suit, which just about rules out the metal watch bands (with some exceptions, I'm sure).

But for 40K, I'd much rather have ten 4K watches than one holy grail.

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True Rolex's are not well liked around these parts, but that's mostly because of the stigma that the brand has. Rolex makes nice watches, and they hold their value very well. I think gold watches are very tacky though, tell him to look into white gold.

I also second the cry for him to get a Patek, I am just saying that buying a Rolex is not really throwing your money away.

East Oakland

Reaction score
Do you guys have a reading comprehension problem?

The OP says his friend doesn't want anything but a Rolex, and acknowledges that this is a goofy limitation that he wouldn't impose himself.

Suggest another Rolex or STFU.

afterglow

Reaction score
If Rolex and formal are the goals, here's what I suggest:

1. Get a simple steel Rolex: Explorer, GMT or Submariner. Budget: 6K
2. Get a gold dress watch: Patek, Vacheron, Lange, Breguet or Glashuette. Budget: 20K

Keep the rest in the bank or get a couple more watches.

haiguise

Reaction score
goldenturd.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads