1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Watch Advice

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Kai, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Kai

Kai Senior member

I am considering the purchase of a new watch, and I would like the advice of folks on the forum.

I've always been fascinated by this multi time zone watch, but I don't really care for the brown band with the contrast white stitching on the yellow gold watch. (I have a JLC Reverso in yellow gold with a similar band, so getting the Breguet in a similar combination seems duplicative.) Should I get the white gold version with the black band, or should I special order a black band to go with the yellow gold watch?
    This would be worn for business, particularly travel (when I only take one watch with me) so it needs to be versatile and go with every sort of business dress.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Or is this multi time zone watch too fussy and busy and should I just get the much simpler (and less expensive) classic model?

[​IMG]

2. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Kai, Patek just displayed a new multi-time zone wine at this year's watch show that I think is really cool.

3. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

It's ref. 5130

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

kai,

i vote for the classic. the multi time zone watches look gimmicky. i'd think differently if you could press a button and have the hands move to a different position, with the name of the corresponding city in a little window on the face. but just having the names of a bunch of cities on their is too much.

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I like the Audemars World Time from the '40s. Audemars was very well-known for this sort of complication: [​IMG] And then there is the iconic Louis Cottier Patek World Time: [​IMG] As for the Breguets, I'm not particularly keen on Breguet's various complication wristwatches as the styling strikes me as slightly unsophisticated. However, their recent offerings are in better taste; the Tradition looks too much like a misguided attempt to wrestle a pocket watch in a large wristwatch case.

6. Horace

Horace Senior member

I think simple is better. I don't like watches with a bunch of stuff.

I've never been a fan of the dual or multi. time-zone thing. It's just a quick calculation in the head that's needed.

7. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

I think simple is better. I don't like watches with a bunch of stuff.

I've never been a fan of the dual or multi. time-zone thing. It's just a quick calculation in the head that's needed.

Unless you need to track 4 time zones, one of which is offset by 15 minutes and another by 30. Small niche, but still exists.

Tom

8. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

Unless you need to track 4 time zones, one of which is offset by 15 minutes and another by 30. Small niche, but still exists.

Tom

exactly. which is why I am saving my pennies for the glycine.

9. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

exactly. which is why I am saving my pennies for the glycine.
    I think I like this version best. How much?
    [​IMG]

BTW, also really like the styling of the very first Breguet pictured.

10. globetrotter

I think I like this version best. How much?
    [​IMG]

BTW, also really like the styling of the very first Breguet pictured.

under two K, considering it has 3 separate quality automatic mechanism, not a bad price, just not something I can afford right now.

The look of the Brequest is cool, but I don't like having all the city names on, for my own sake - I would set the time zones for cities that are relevant to me.

11. Horace

Horace Senior member

Tom

Where are such places?

12. globetrotter

Where are such places?

india, nepal, sri lanka, maldives, afganastan, iran, newfoundland, mymar and, I believe, central australia all come to mind - all are off the round hour used by most of the world. there may also be a handfull of african countries that do it.

13. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

14. Horace

Horace Senior member

india, nepal, sri lanka, maldives, afganastan, iran, newfoundland, mymar and, I believe, central australia all come to mind - all are off the round hour used by most of the world. there may also be a handfull of african countries that do it.

Interesting. Thanks. You certainly live up to your moniker.

15. globetrotter

Interesting. Thanks. You certainly live up to your moniker.

no problem - as you can see, all of these countries have in common that they have had reason to thumb their noses at the rest of the world. typically having your time zone off the round hour is a politicaly motivated issue.

16. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

17. Kai

Kai Senior member

I just bought the simple, non-multi zone watch.

Several years ago, when I traveled more and was doing business regularly on 4 continents, I think I would have had more use for the multi-zone functions. However, I like the look of the classic model better, and I rarely deal with folks from out of the country any more, so the simpler watch seemed like the better choice right now.

I actually had the very same Patek travel time model that was pointed out for sale on ebay. I recently sold it. It was a beautiful watch, but the problem with it is that the buttons that move the hour hand back and forth gets pressed during normal wear, so the hour hand is often inadvertently moved without your knowing it. After several occurances where my watch was off by an hour or two because of this, I decided that it doesn't really function all that well as a multi time zone watch.

18. Kai

Kai Senior member

no problem - as you can see, all of these countries have in common that they have had reason to thumb their noses at the rest of the world. typically having your time zone off the round hour is a politicaly motivated issue.

I used to do business with a company in Adelaide, Australia. They are one of the places where their time is 1/2 hour off. The Aussies do enjoy being different.