Washington Post article on "renaissance" of American menswear

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bryce330, Jul 10, 2006.

1. bryce330

bryce330 Senior member

2. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

I thought there were some interesting points that are valid in this day and age. I've also noticed a move towards men under 40 buying suits for play, not for work. Especially in SoCal where "business casual" reigns. I think this a good thing btw, as I personally like seeing guys tap into the potential of the suit as a means of personal expression, away from the norms of a white collar office job.

3. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Thom Browne on the offensive:

4. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

Could you just roll up your cuffs, I mean if I'm wiling to sport hairy ankles whats a few extra threads?[​IMG]

5. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I want the socks that the guy has in this picture. I've been searching high and wide for "ankle-height dress socks" and have been unable to find them. Does anybody have any ideas.

Here's a link to the picture:

Ankle high dress socks

6. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

Thom Browne on the offensive:

Yea, I'm not sure if I applaud or laugh at that statement. It's one thing to "stick to your vision" but it almost seems like he's trying to create a confederacy of dunces that wear their trousers too high just to validate his own niche. I have no problem with the guy who would wear high trousers anyways, but I'm betting most of his bespoke customers are being steered in his direction and would never otherwise wear them that way.

7. StevenRocks

StevenRocks Senior member

Thom Browne is taking himself far too seriously. Eventually fashion will shift, and if he's stuck in a singular aesthetic like it seems he is, he's going to be the next Tommy Hilfiger or Kenneth Cole: a running gag in the history of fashion.

8. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

I found it to be an excellent article by a great writer. Maybe I'll go into the Thom Browne boutique at Bergdorf sometime, then again maybe not.

9. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

Deal.

And I suspect Mr. Browne will have cause to regret those words when the rich men and trust fund hipster dofuses he caters to realize they look like idiots.

10. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

That statement is unrealistic. Anyone can get the trouser hem longer if they wish. Jason certainly did.

11. Stax

Stax Senior member

I think this a good thing btw, as I personally like seeing guys tap into the potential of the suit as a means of personal expression, away from the norms of a white collar office job.

I'm with you on this. I don't like all of the fashion forward suits (and the Thom Browne stuff is ludicrous), but I do own a modern black suit. Frankly, i wear it more often than others because I can wear it to clubs. In my traditional navy, I'm the guy in the suit. In a black suit with narrower lapels, supressed waist and a shorter skirt, I'm with the band.

12. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I want the socks that the guy has in this picture. I've been searching high and wide for "ankle-height dress socks" and have been unable to find them. Does anybody have any ideas.

Ankle high dress socks

Might those be athletic socks in a dark color?

13. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Ankle high dress socks

Isn't that guy Mr. Browne himself? And (I think) he looks like an idiot.

I saw some short dress socks at (I believe) C21 last week. No offense, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out why someone would buy them.

The article should be good - Robin Givhan just won a Pulitzer.

14. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

That statement is unrealistic. Anyone can get the trouser hem longer if they wish. Jason certainly did.

He was referring to his bespoke services. My TB is OTR so of course I'm able to hem the trouser to any length I desire. But his bespoke attitude is uncompromising in a self absorbed way.

15. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

i presume he is not comfortable in his suit.