• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Washington DC recommendation for the weekendHell

charlief1975

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am going to be in DC this weekend the 12th through Monday. Been there a few times. I am staying at the Hilton near the Capitol. Wondering what are some good places to go to dinner, or have drinks. I am pretty open to anything, just checking what new places are out there.

Also if there any shops or must do things this weekend, any recommendations would be great.

Thanks.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 for Madams Organ... see if you catch Ben Andrews.... he just blew me away when I saw him a few years ago at the Organ.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How old are you? What are your interests? What have you seen already?

Greg's List compiles a list of interesting things to do in the DC area. There's a party at L2, a private lounge, on Friday night, and a party at the House of Sweden on Saturday night. Both are in Georgetown.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
How old are you? What are your interests? What have you seen already?

Greg's List compiles a list of interesting things to do in the DC area. There's a party at L2, a private lounge, on Friday night, and a party at the House of Sweden on Saturday night. Both are in Georgetown.

This is the most important question. With this lot you'll find yourself at the Raven.

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Georgetown is nice, but I think the U Street area is more fun at night. Georgetown is basically a big outdoor mall. You should also check out the Dupont Circle area. If you're looking for some good Mexican food, Lauriol Plaza is worth a trip.

By the way, if you check out U Street, you may notice that people are obsessed with Ben's Chili Bowl. But I say skip it. It's pretty gross. Go get some grits at Busboys & Poets instead.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think U street captures the flavor of DC the most - great bars, good restaurants, jazz and soul music spots, hipster bars, very diverse. However Georgetown is still a must visit even for a few hours - say sunday afternoon for lunch and to walk around. Dupont is good (not the best though), maybe a trip to Russia House in the early evening to sample their ginormous vodka selection.

I attached the link above since many listed a lot of go to spots before. It was a polite way of saying, search next time.

p.s. I hate busboys and poets with a passion.

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wondering, why is that? I only ever went for breakfast on the weekends, and always got eggs, grits, and bacon. Not too adventurous, I know, but it was so good I never wanted anything else there.

Originally Posted by Jodum5
p.s. I hate busboys and poets with a passion.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pickpackpockpuck
I think the U Street area is more fun at night.

I think U street captures the flavor of DC the most - great bars, good restaurants, jazz and soul music spots, hipster bars, very diverse.

You said it. Don't get too drunk - friend of mine got stomped and beat with a pipe less than a month ago for bumping into a group of thugs leaving a bar by himself. Watch your back in Adams Morgan too. Both places seem fine, but are full of ghetto teens who can't get into bars looking to f up some drunk people.

Try Glover Park - plenty of nice looking, well off girls in tiny dresses. Safe too.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by charlief1975
Hello All,

I am going to be in DC this weekend the 12th through Monday. Been there a few times. I am staying at the Hilton near the Capitol. Wondering what are some good places to go to dinner, or have drinks. I am pretty open to anything, just checking what new places are out there.

Also if there any shops or must do things this weekend, any recommendations would be great.

Thanks.

You should find out what Hilton you are staying at. The Capital Hilton is near the WH. (Note it's Capital- as in capital city, not Capitol as in the building) The Embassy Row Hilton and Washington Hilton are both near Dupont Circle. I'm not aware of any others.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pickpackpockpuck
Just wondering, why is that? I only ever went for breakfast on the weekends, and always got eggs, grits, and bacon. Not too adventurous, I know, but it was so good I never wanted anything else there.

Just don't dig it. Seems like a very manufactured scene.

Originally Posted by KJT
You said it. Don't get too drunk - friend of mine got stomped and beat with a pipe less than a month ago for bumping into a group of thugs leaving a bar by himself. Watch your back in Adams Morgan too. Both places seem fine, but are full of ghetto teens who can't get into bars looking to f up some drunk people.

Try Glover Park - plenty of nice looking, well off girls in tiny dresses. Safe too.

If you can't handle U st. you really should stick to Old town Alexandria.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ha +1 to both

Jodum, when's the next SF happy hour

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Blow me. I've lived in DC my whole life, even lived on 13th and Clifton for a year, up a few blocks from the U street metro and across the street from Cardozo highschool. I can "handle" it. I just wouldn't recommend it to someone from out of town.

Douche.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KJT
I think U Street and Adams Morgan are fine for a DC newb so long as you stay on the main drags and avoid the side streets, where most of the attacks occur. U Street gets a little sketchy east of 14th and Adams Morgan gets a little sketchy east of 18th, but I don't think either of these areas has anywhere of interest for a visitor.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads