• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Washington DC Hairstylists?

Borky

Reaction score
I'm looking for a trendy hair salon in DC that is good with longer men's hair. All I've been able to find are places that seem to specialize more with women or just do men's hair for politicians/business people. Being the place that does Larry King's or George Bush's hair doesn't attract me. Instead, I want somewhere trendy and up to date with modern hairstyles for men with long hair. I paid $50 at O Salon in Georgetown and got something very mediocre and very not worth the money so I do not want a repeat of that. Thanks for your suggestions.

choya

Reaction score
Some trial and error led me to Urban Style Lab (it's in Dupont). I use Jackie, and she does a real good job with me. The clientele is probably two-thirds female, but it's not overly girly. 45 bucks for my cut.

life_interrupts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife fills in as a receptionist at Axis in Dupont Circle. Has a good-sized male clientele that's pretty loyal and trendy. About $60.

JRinDC

Reaction score
I've tried a variety of Georgetown salons over the years, and I've been at Urban Style Lab in DC since they spun off of Molecule. I go to Melissa. She used to cut in New York and is great with men's hair. From what I see around me a number of the stylists do a good job at a fair price.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get my hair cut every three weeks at Demian in Adams Morgan. Cost is $30 (more if you request specific stylists). Other good salons are Trim, Bang, and Molecule. Trim and Bang cost in the neighborhood of $30-$35, Molecule is a little more expensive.

spacemanvt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
couple of things:

is there any in the NoVA/arlington area (where I live)?

and I am growing my hair out to get a cool long haired style (tired of the short haired ones Ive been wearing for ages), can you go in there and have them recommend something to you?

jkennett

Reaction score
I have longer hair and got best results with Eddie at the PR@Partners in Mazza Gallerie, Chevy Chase (Friendship Heights Metro). I went to a bunch of places including Urban Style Lab with pretty mediocre results before finding this one. I'm super picky and prefer an edgier sort of rocker look with my hair.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go to Vidal Sassoon at Tysons II and ask for Dusan. He specializes in creative hair designs which means you let him do what he wants and it is free. Your hair is long however and he's currently working with some new stuff fresh from london that it involves shorter geometric shapes so I doubt you want that. It's 80 bucks for a haircut. He's cool as **** and I'm not kidding, the dude can cut. He even has a holster for his scissors. He's the man.

Do you remember that guy with long red curly hair that was in the satorialist wearing a women's pea coat? He works there too. These guys know their ****. check it out

spacemanvt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
man, I have never spent more than 20 bucks for a haircut... I am not sure if I am ready to drop 80!
ouch!

but if i let him do whatever he wants... its free? that might be dangerous

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spacemanvt
man, I have never spent more than 20 bucks for a haircut... I am not sure if I am ready to drop 80! ouch! but if i let him do whatever he wants... its free? that might be dangerous
Yup, free. The only thing you might not like is that sometimes he decides he wants some color in your hair too so if you like your natural color or if you dislike having certain chunks a certain color, it might not be for you. He would explain everything though beforehand so you can just tell him no thanks if you are not interested. They won't just do anything on your head either. It is usually something that compliments your shape. If you were to do a creative cut or two, you'd soon realize that they kick ass enough that you'd be willing to spend 80 bucks if there was something you really wanted them to do. I don't like the idea of spending that much money but i've come to the conclusion that the hair styling world is one where most places can really **** your head up. He rocks Dior Homme like no other. This cat has like 20 pairs of DH kicks (ridiculous) and seems to like making some people look very Dior-ish if you catch my drift. He just cut my hair and it looks like Hedi Slimane's hairstyle. It's hard to get used to it but it is pretty cool.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cldpsu
Yup, free. The only thing you might not like is that sometimes he decides he wants some color in your hair too so if you like your natural color or if you dislike having certain chunks a certain color, it might not be for you. He would explain everything though beforehand so you can just tell him no thanks if you are not interested. They won't just do anything on your head either. It is usually something that compliments your shape. If you were to do a creative cut or two, you'd soon realize that they kick ass enough that you'd be willing to spend 80 bucks if there was something you really wanted them to do. I don't like the idea of spending that much money but i've come to the conclusion that the hair styling world is one where most places can really **** your head up. He rocks Dior Homme like no other. This cat has like 20 pairs of DH kicks (ridiculous) and seems to like making some people look very Dior-ish if you catch my drift. He just cut my hair and it looks like Hedi Slimane's hairstyle. It's hard to get used to it but it is pretty cool.
What he cuts your hair for free, what kind of tip do you (or others) usually give? $20? $10? I might check him out for a free cut. Thanks.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I give him 20 bucks. Since it's 80 dollars, 20 bucks would be 25%, which is high but he is really good at what he does. I'm definitely not exaggerating. He's got these 600 dollar scissors made for cutlery. They can cut through 2 inch steaks like butter apparently and it works well to make really defined edges. Here's a picture of my head to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. He goes to London every now and then to do some shows with Vidal heads over there. Call them up and set up an appt. 703 448 9884.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cldpsu
I give him 20 bucks. Since it's 80 dollars, 20 bucks would be 25%, which is high but he is really good at what he does. I'm definitely not exaggerating. He's got these 600 dollar scissors made for cutlery. They can cut through 2 inch steaks like butter apparently and it works well to make really defined edges. Here's a picture of my head to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. He goes to London every now and then to do some shows with Vidal heads over there. Call them up and set up an appt. 703 448 9884.

Thanks! That is a great cut... I'm going to call.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads