• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Washington, dc filenes basement

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NOTE: THIS IS AN OLD POST - from 2004 ...

Anyone in DC, the Filenes on Connecticut Ave. has an unbelievable selection of Barney's stuff.  I just walked away with one each of perfect Lorenzini and Battestoni shirts for $49.95 each, as well as several Barney's sweaters -- two were $29 each; a spectacular buttery soft navy cashmere was $49.  Also got a John Smedley Sea Island cotton shirt and a Barney's label silk/cotton shirt for $19.95 each.  Total cost was $239 for easily $2500 retail.

I almost got several other Battistoni sweaters and a Luciano Barbera jacket but couldn't quite justify it.  Must've been 200+ Barney's label dress shirts, all for $19.95 each..  

No suits or blazers though, at least at the Conn. Ave store.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was in that store yesterday -- where is all that good stuff?

regularjoe

Reaction score
Could be a new shipment. They seem to get new stuff almost every week.

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to check it out.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The sale started today. Two large Barney's-only racks upstairs, plus some Barney's stuff sprinkled in with the Bergdorf Goodman sale items.

discostu004

Affiliate vendor
Reaction score
jeez, i called filene's and asked if they were running a sale and the person didn't know, then later found out they were, then found me a lorenzini shirt for $49.99, then said they didn't ship, even though i told her i was in texas. i've never been to filenes, who is working there? i'm picturing a person wearing a burger king visor

regularjoe

Reaction score
i've never been to filenes, who is working there?  i'm picturing a person wearing a burger king visor
That's not too far off. Some people there are genuinely helpful if not knowledgeable, but the rest I get the feeling would rather be somewhere else.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burger King isn't too far off the mark for some of the employees. The manager-types seem to be pretty on-the-ball. The low-level ones though, the ones who pricing and do stocking, etc., can be pretty horrific. I've overheard them talk ceaselessly about "when's your next break" and about how many sick days they get, etc. An employer's basic nightmare.

But, I'm not surprised they wouldn't want to deal w/shipping. The good stuff like Lorenzini moves pretty quickly.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just reviving an old thread. Has anyone been to the Mazza or CT Ave. stores lately? If so, is there anything new?

Last time I went to the Connecticut Ave store (about a month ago), they had a bunch of the "bin ends" from their many-months-ago Borrelli haul and some other things on super markdown, but nothing of much interest. (By the way, about two weeks ago I went to the crappy National Press Filene's and happened to look at one of their racks labeled as "designer clothes." Usually this means there'll be garbage there, but this time I could see some remains from their Barney's stuff. What should I find, but a perfect linen/cotton Kiton shirt in my size for $99.)

Jim

Reaction score
I spoke to an employee at Conn. Ave a few months ago and he told me there would be no more Oxxford at Mazza Gallerie.  Reason was that Neiman Marcis is at the other end of the MG mall and N-M was mad that Filene's was offering OXX suits for about $880 when N-M had 'em on the floor for $2495.  One day a N-M rep showed up with cash and bought the enrtire OXX inventory.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just reviving an old thread.  Has anyone been to the Mazza or CT Ave. stores lately?  If so, is there anything new?  

Last time I went to the Connecticut Ave store (about a month ago), they had a bunch of the "bin ends" from their many-months-ago Borrelli haul and some other things on super markdown, but nothing of much interest.  (By the way, about two weeks ago I went to the crappy National Press Filene's and happened to look at one of their racks labeled as "designer clothes."  Usually this means there'll be garbage there, but this time I could see some remains from their Barney's stuff.  What should I find, but a perfect linen/cotton Kiton shirt in my size for $99.)
I went to the Conn. Ave. location on Wednesday.  No sales, and the merchandise is all the junk FB hasn't been able to sell for the past several months.  Definitely at "low tide" right now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads