1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Washington, DC Filene's Basement

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kabert, Apr 26, 2005.

1. drljva

drljva Senior member

Hadn't been to FB in years and years (since my grad school days in Boston, actually...), but stopped by the Conn. Ave. store yesterday evening. Brioni and Oxxford shirts for $199?. [​IMG] What a "bargain". [​IMG] And unfortunately, no Oxxford suits in my size... I suppose it's back to ebay for me... [​IMG]

2. kabert

kabert Senior member

I don't think I've ever seen really great deals on Brioni shirts at Filene's, but sometimes those Oxxford shirts do go on super-markdown. About this time last year, the Mazza FB had a huge rack of 8 or 10 dozen Oxxford shirts being sold for under $100 each (it was either $89 or $99 IIRC).

3. kabert

kabert Senior member

I guess the deal I got on that Borrelli blazer ($750, plus tax of $35 or $40) wasn't that great after all. Here's our own discostu (Lance Hughes) selling a very similar blazer for $800 on EBay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....me=WDVW And that's just one of a few dozen Borrelli blazers he has....

4. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

Anyone have any update on when the Bergdorf stuff might trickle in? Not that I'm losing sleep over it. Now, about the next Grenson shipment at Bennies...

5. kabert

kabert Senior member

I asked Kofi at Conn. Ave. on Tuesday, and he didn't know re: Bergdorfs.

I checked out the National Press Filene's today (hey, it's a block from my office) -- nothing good on the sole 50% off rack. One rack of Barney's stuff that had a few nice things -- lots of Barney's label obviously (sweaters/shirts); some Smedley; a pair of Incotex slacks; some D&G and Versace. No suits and just one Varvatos blazer. By the way, that one 38R Borrelli suit in beautiful, but not exactly versatile "country" plaid (light tan, brown, red, perhaps some light yellow, etc.) is still there and is now 20% off.

6. regularjoe

regularjoe Senior member

Yeah, I think I saw that exact same double-breasted number.

7. Jim

Jim Senior member

I spoke to a salesman at the Connecticut Avenue Filene's Basement (1133 Connecticut Avenue, corner of Connecticut  and DeSales St., across DeSales from the Mayflower Hotel.)  He told me that the Mazza Gallerie FB no longer stocks Oxxford as the Neiman's at the other end of Mazza had a fit as FB was selling $2495 Oxxford suits for $999.  He said that one day the Neiman's people showed up with a wad of cash and bought all the Oxxford suits.

8. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

Uhhh, I think that's technically illegal. AC, wanna pass this along to your buddies at Antitrust?

9. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

Actually, this may be okay. As both stores are located in the same retail development, it's very possible that Neimans has a provision in its lease prohibiting other tenants from selling or displaying merchandise which Neiman's is also selling. This is generally done to prevent the landlord from going out and entering into a lease with one of Neiman's competitors (and thus sucking away Neiman's profits at this store location). Neiman's would obviously be doubly concerned here, as FB sells at a much lower price point.

If this is the case, then standard operating procedure would be for Neiman's to call the landlord and inform them that one of the other tenants (FB) was violating this lease provision and that the landlord should make them stop. As for a Neiman's employee coming in and buying up all of the Oxxford (if this is true), it sounds like somebody panicked.

Regards,

Jeff

10. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

If I was Filene's Basement, I would up the price at that location to, say $1250, and keep 'em coming. They'll make a killing just selling to Neimans. I bet that the FB people wish that they were working on commission. Of course, I'm sure that Oxxford would then have a fit [​IMG]