• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Washington DC and NOVA Tailor

pallena

Reaction score
Does anyone in the DC contingent have a recommendation for a tailor? In particular, I have several pairs of pants that need hems and one shirt that needs an inch taken off of the sleeves. These are both run of the mill but I have had bad luck with the ladies at the local dry cleaner. Georgetown, downtown or Arlington is preferable.

Thanks,

Pallena

medwards

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I highly recommend Field on Wisconsin Avenue in upper Georgetown.

mtf

Reaction score
Georgetown valet dry cleaners in Clarendon by the Barne's and Noble has worked well for me with simpler alterations (don't ask how many places I've tried in courthouse/clarendon). She was the only one when asked to shorten my sleeves that removed the placket, reattached it with the patterns lined back up and preserved the two pleats where the sleeves attach to the cuffs. I also brought a striped shirt to her with a nasty rip in the sleeve and she managed to patch it; I thought the shirt was rag material.

I don't think I'd have her work on a sportcoat/suitcoat though.

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Geoffrey Lewis on H Street at 15th. They have altered a dress shirt as well as a few pair of pants for me to my satisfaction.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want a perfect job done, I'd take it to Field's, as MEdwards recommended. They are a father/son tailor (and custom clothing) shop that you'd do well to get to know. And, Sky Valet shoe store is next door - the best in the DC area.

For simpler jobs, I have used G. Lewis on H Street -- convenient to my office, but not the same amount of care and "love" IMO as at Field's.

pallena

Reaction score
Everyone,

Excellent feedback. I really appreciate it. Now I just need to find the time to get to one of these places. I've long heard of Fields and enjoyed the discussion on Sky Valet regarding the EG trunk show from three weeks back.

Pallena

Taliesin

Reaction score
I have used Field's for suit and trouser alterations for some time, and they are excellent.  However, they will not shorten shirt sleeves in the manner one might prefer (i.e., removing and reattaching the placket).  I spoke to Mr. Field (jr.) about such an alteration once, and his response was that they are not shirtmakers and won't undertake that particular task.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads