1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

washington D.C. - best places/stores to shop?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by discostar, Jul 2, 2007.

1. bowman9000

bowman9000 Active Member

Japanese -- Kushi, Makoto
    Coffee -- Chinatown Coffee

Coffee: Peregrine espresso, Sova, Swings (Murky coffee was a purist espresso place; too bad it closed down)
    Japanese: Sushi Taro, Kaz. A couple of cheap ones: Kotobuki, Temari and Hinata in MD

Lots of bars are overrrated and some popular ones have attitude.

Biggest problem in DC is finding good yet affordable places to eat. Very few. Most of the times, you really have to splurge.

2. puddin

puddin Senior member

Biggest problem in DC is finding good yet affordable places to eat. Very few. Most of the times, you really have to splurge.

This. Lots of great food in DC, but very few good cheap eats.

3. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

I agree that the price of food and drinks is generally higher in DC (especially compared to Philly), but you can find decent stuff at a reasonable price. Kinda like the rest of DC, it just takes some work to weed through the garbage and figure out what's worth your time and energy.

And isn't there a place the old Eastern Market Murky Coffee location that's basically the same thing? Is that Peregrine? I know I had a great cup of hand-poured, single-country-of-origin coffee there at some point after it had already stopped being Murky.

Also, I think it was one of the guys from Murky who came to Philly and opened Ultimo, which is pretty great.

Nah I'd recommend checking out Meeps in Admo (big selection, good prices) and Treasury (small, well curated selection, higher prices).

Is that the place that's on the other side of 18th St from Meeps on the 2nd floor? I remember always walking by the sign advertising it as a vintage store and not being able to figure out where it was. There was some decent stuff there when I checked it out, although this was a couple of years ago.

4. lmaozedong

lmaozedong Senior member

i liked kushi when i went. had a groupon too, so that helped

5. puddin

puddin Senior member

Is that the place that's on the other side of 18th St from Meeps on the 2nd floor? I remember always walking by the sign advertising it as a vintage store and not being able to figure out where it was. There was some decent stuff there when I checked it out, although this was a couple of years ago.

Nah Treasury is near 14th & T. Mostly women's stuff, but a rack of men's.

6. Mauro

Mauro Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    Food prices are higher here than Philly. Real estate prices are higher too. You can't get everything for free.
    NYC is in a league of it's own simply out of population density.
    DC has some really good food you just need to look.

I hope to see everyone on the 20th. Check my blog for details. It's metro accessible.
    We will have a good time.

7. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

So who's planning the next meetup?

8. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

^ Sounds like Mauro just did. Can anyone tell me why there are approximately zero hotel rooms available in DC on the 22nd - 24th? I have to come into town for work, and I guess I'm crashing with a friend of mine because the travel agent couldn't find anything that wasn't either a) $250+ a night (work is paying, but that's kind of unreasonable) or b) in a totally sketchy area (like, way up New York Ave. in NE). I'm pretty sure that just a month ago I was booking $80/night rooms at the Washington Plaza maybe a week in advance. [​IMG]

9. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Can anyone tell me why there are approximately zero hotel rooms available in DC on the 22nd - 24th? I have to come into town for work, and I guess I'm crashing with a friend of mine because the travel agent couldn't find anything that wasn't either a) $250+ a night (work is paying, but that's kind of unreasonable) or b) in a totally sketchy area (like, way up New York Ave. in NE).

I'm pretty sure that just a month ago I was booking $80/night rooms at the Washington Plaza maybe a week in advance. [​IMG]

I'd guess it's because of the Cherry Blossom Festival, which starts on the 26th.

10. slack tide

slack tide Senior member

814 Capital Sq Pl SW

excuse my ignorance, but what is the closest metro stop to this address? L'enfant?

11. Mauro

^^ you are correct. It's 2 blocks away.

Cherry Blossoms sounds like the right answer.

12. gumercindo

gumercindo Senior member

Awesome, I'm planning to make it.

13. slack tide

slack tide Senior member

Ms. Slack and I are headed to check out Redeem on 14th to see the WvG. Read some strange things about the store on Yelp, lol. Will report back!

14. Mauro

^^ Say "hi" to Lori. The store is very cool. Check out the boots too.

15. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

I'd guess it's because of the Cherry Blossom Festival, which starts on the 26th.

Still seems odd I'm unable to get a room two days before the festival even starts, but yeah, that's probably it.

16. NameBack

NameBack Senior member

RSVP'd for the trunk sale

gonna have to somehow avoid spending my clothes budget prior to that [​IMG]

17. slack tide

slack tide Senior member

Said Hi to Lori, Mauro. She said hi too. The shop was cool. Only had 5 of your pieces total, though. 4 BD's, grape (i think) and gray. One XS but everything else was big. Also one maroon pea coat in size large..

WvG was the best stuff there, albeit limited. Some wrath arcane. Other than that, small little MIC labels that weren't of any interest. Hope to see some more stuff at the trunk show

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Frere Taz

Frere Taz Member

Sigh...

Opening myself up to quite a bit of hostility here with this being my 2nd post, but after living in the DC area nearly my entire life, and traveling all around the US, this is the worst shithole I've ever been in.

Almost all chains, no great food, homely/masculine women, metrosexual swarms, terrible local cultural "icons" (cupcakes, gogo, dischord lameness, Ben's, etc.), no interesting shopping.

And diversity??? True there is every mixture under the sun here, but instead of an interesting mixture of communities, everyone has been blended into this bland, flacid, asexual, boring, uncreative, uninteresting prototypical DC resident.

DC is like The Gap of US cities.

+1

19. greekonomist

greekonomist Senior member

DC has some really good food you just need to look.

+1, Although many of the good places are actually outside DC itself IMO.

20. Mauro

^^ I agree.

Has anyone tried the dim sum place on 7th st past fedo?? I am afraid the dim sum will let alone be authentic.