1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

washington D.C. - best places/stores to shop?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by discostar, Jul 2, 2007.

1. slack tide

slack tide Senior member

Are there any in the city?

Other's can tell you better than me, but yes, there are -- just can't tell you specifics. However, most of the consignment shops are probably looking for relatively hard to find vintage goods. Old varsities - DoD deadstock - wool pendletons - old leathers - boots. So keep this in mind with respect to what you have to get rid of. A good bit of these shops are in the u-street corridor.

Here a couple pics I snapped inside of Dr K's vintage off U last weekend.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

hmmm need to visit vintage store ... never really tried thrifting in dc. used to thrift all the time in highschool.

yeah the music scene aint that bad. saw little dragon last semester for 10 bucks at door of some random bar cant remember, girl talk at 930 club, and going to coheed & cambria in april [​IMG]

3. slack tide

slack tide Senior member

outside of my normal w+h haul, the rest of my summer wardrobe (aside from some older buttons downs, gitmans, gant, EP, etc) will be thrift. eBay and u-street.

4. randomkoreandude

is that the only good thrift store? sorry never even thought about thrifting/vintage wear

5. puddin

puddin Senior member

is that the only good thrift store? sorry never even thought about thrifting/vintage wear

Nah I'd recommend checking out Meeps in Admo (big selection, good prices) and Treasury (small, well curated selection, higher prices). These aren't thrift stores though, and neither is Dr. K. IMO unless you love the hunt, thrift stores around DC aren't really worth the effort. They get so picked over by vintage shops and people that raid them regularly.

6. slack tide

slack tide Senior member

Not at all - use yelp. There are approximately 10-15 in the u-street corridor alone. Start at Ben's Chili Bowl and just work your way up and down the streets. Some have funky hours, but Saturday at noon is a safe time to go. You'll stumble into some bizzarre stores.

::walk up flight of stairs with g/f. Walk in door. Realize you're in dild0 shop::
    ::keep walking up more stairs::
    ::Walk into "Legendary Beast" with aging hippie woman who has probably bedded over 500+ gentlemen callers laying spread-eagle on pompazon chair inquiring on how you stumbled into her spider web of seduction (and overpriced faux antiques and oddities):::

just remember that you cannot equate thrifting with cheap (this doesn't make sense in review - but rather you cannot equate hunting vintage as a cheaper alternative to buying new). You can assemble an awesome looking outfit for under 60 bucks or so -- but the pieces you'll most likely really fall in love with will carry a decent price tag. They know current market value per trends and often times are unwilling to even haggle in the slightest.

7. randomkoreandude

cool sounds fun thx bro

edit: oh yeah to add to music the xx was awesome at 6th and i synagogue

8. Mauro

Mauro Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    ^^ sucks to be you. You're going to miss a good time. Don't step in dog shit while walking through Paris.
    You are BANNED from playing ping-pong against any of my customers and friends , ringer.

Feel free to bring your GF to the show. Chicks show up. We usually we put them to work and make them fix us drinks and brings us food.[​IMG]

I am not a big thrifter. I should be , inspiration and all. However I don't have the patience to root through a bunch of shit to find that one gem.

AC- I am trying to make my Easter Egg hunt a place to meet hot birds. I think there's a good chance of you meeting someone there. If you aren't single. Don't bring sand to the beach!

9. millevanille

millevanille Active Member

There's no doubt a lot of blandness, especially in new development (there's a reason everyone talking about Clarendon likes Galaxy Hut and Dremo's and not the Cheesecake Factory), but I fear you're going to say rust belt cities are somehow better because they have character or some bullshit amorphous "real" quality. DC's roots are fascinating, it has entertaining local characters (how many DC transients lol about Barry w/o any context? Dude was shot by terrorists in the 1970s), a constant tension between citizens and The Man, great architecture (you just watch, brutalism is the next mcm), great food (altho best ethnic food is in the burbs), plenty of solid colleges/universities, and some of the best-run clubs in the country. The music scene has occasionally been held hostage by the legacy of Dischord but I don't really have a problem with that. Throw in good (but deteriorating) public transit and it's a better place to live than you're giving it credit for. All that said, depending on when you grew up here and what you were into I can totally understand needing to get out.

Everyone seems to think the face of DC is an SAIC deputy program manager driving a Chevy Malibu to the Macaroni Grill. That's the face of NoVA.

Well, I can't agree with a lot of what you are saying, but I do appreciate being able to blow off a little steam without turning things into a flame-fest. [​IMG]

Definitely there have been many times where I've thought "If I was here on vacation, I'd be having an awesome time". There is a lot to see and do, I agree there is some nice architecture, and a decent number of options for people into doing outdoorsy stuff (Mather Gorge for one).

But I have to still take extreme exception to the food and shopping. I mean, I would consider Richmond a contender as a food city. With nearly a million people each in Ffx, MoCo, and PG counties (as well as PWC, Arlington, Alexandria, etc...) I really think there is no excuse for the level of restaurant quality.

And there are a lot of d-bags to be sure!

10. slack tide

slack tide Senior member

Well, I can't agree with a lot of what you are saying, but I do appreciate being able to blow off a little steam without turning things into a flame-fest. [​IMG]

Definitely there have been many times where I've thought "If I was here on vacation, I'd be having an awesome time". There is a lot to see and do, I agree there is some nice architecture, and a decent number of options for people into doing outdoorsy stuff (Mather Gorge for one).

But I have to still take extreme exception to the food and shopping. I mean, I would consider Richmond a contender as a food city. With nearly a million people each in Ffx, MoCo, and PG counties (as well as PWC, Arlington, Alexandria, etc...) I really think there is no excuse for the level of restaurant quality.

And there are a lot of d-bags to be sure!

You cannot overlook the variety of high quality, authentic ethnic food in the close suburbs. Arlington, seven corners, Falls Church, Eden Center. Anthony Bourdaine spent a considerable amount of his stay in the DC Metro in northern virginia.

11. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Everyone should visit Quarry House in Silver Spring.

12. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Your opinion of the DC restaurant scene may have been true a few years ago, but it's definitely not true today. The restaurants I listed a few pages ago would be considered very, very good in any city in the United States. Jose Andres, one of the leaders of the molecular gastronomy movement, is based in DC. Tons of new and exciting places are opening every month, not to mention the great ethnic restaurants that have been around for years.

13. randomkoreandude

Wolf vs goat trunk show dates are up. RSVP now!

No more excuses of terrible clothing in area if u can make it ...

14. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

food is bad here. fine dining is their only calling card (like was said earlier, good if someone else is paying). Molecular gastronomy is gonna be laughed at in a few years. Ethnic food is good for the 2 ethnicities that have sizable populations (Ethiopian and ? I'm blanking). Asian food? Ping Pong WTF. After I move away there will be only 2 or three restaurants I have nostalgia for, the Rays restaurants and Two Amys, possibly Churchkey, that's it. And duplicates of ChurchKey and Two Amys can certainly be found in any major city.

The previous comment of people here not wearing their wealth in everyday clothes, that is definitely true. This is the wealthiest area in America, its tied up in houses, cars, boats, bar tabs and Hermes bags.

15. millevanille

Your opinion of the DC restaurant scene may have been true a few years ago, but it's definitely not true today. The restaurants I listed a few pages ago would be considered very, very good in any city in the United States. Jose Andres, one of the leaders of the molecular gastronomy movement, is based in DC. Tons of new and exciting places are opening every month, not to mention the great ethnic restaurants that have been around for years.

Oh man. Jose Andres. Not really a fan. I know opinions are like assholes...

You cannot overlook the variety of high quality, authentic ethnic food in the close suburbs. Arlington, seven corners, Falls Church, Eden Center. Anthony Bourdaine spent a considerable amount of his stay in the DC Metro in northern virginia.

I guess if you're looking for Korean or Vietnamese. Middle Eastern, Latin American, European, Seafood, Sushi--just not cutting it IMO. Not at all.

And again, I know opinions are like assholes...

16. millevanille

food is bad here. fine dining is their only calling card (like was said earlier, good if someone else is paying). Molecular gastronomy is gonna be laughed at in a few years. Ethnic food is good for the 2 ethnicities that have sizable populations (Ethiopian and ? I'm blanking). Asian food? Ping Pong WTF. After I move away there will be only 2 or three restaurants I have nostalgia for, the Rays restaurants and Two Amys, possibly Churchkey, that's it. And duplicates of ChurchKey and Two Amys can certainly be found in any major city.

OK. Now I know I'm not crazy.

17. pebblegrain

Oh man. Jose Andres. Not really a fan. I know opinions are like assholes... I guess if you're looking for Korean or Vietnamese. Middle Eastern, Latin American, European, Seafood, Sushi--just not cutting it IMO. Not at all.
    Seriously, if it weren't for the Koreans in Annandale, the VN center in 7 Corners, and some of the Chinese food in Rockville, I would not hesitate in calling DC the worst major metro area food in America. These keep it off the floor though. On the other hand, these places are not in DC. Another rant: yes, DC fine dining is okay. But it doesn't compare to NY, LA, SF, Chicago, Miami, etc. As far as major city fine dining, it's reaching down to Dallas or Minneapolis level. Not a good look.

18. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Please tell me what, specifically, is not up to your standards here. What's missing, what's bad about what's here, what would you fix if you had your druthers. What do similarly sized cities have, foodwise, that DC doesn't.

19. pebblegrain

Mexican, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Pizza, Coffee, bakeries, bagels, VN, delis, Indian, Middle Eastern is what I can think of in less than 3 seconds. gimme another 10 min for more.

They have good burgers though. Ray's FTW. And Molecular Gastronomy woohoo

20. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Mexican, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Pizza, Coffee, bakeries, bagels, VN, delis, Indian, Middle Eastern is what I can think of in less than 3 seconds. gimme another 10 min for more.

They have good burgers though. Ray's FTW. And Molecular Gastronomy woohoo

Alright in my 3 seconds
    Mexican -- due to the immigrant population around here, you're more likely to get good el salvadorean food than mexican.
    Chinese -- not an expert, but I dig full kee
    Japanese -- Kushi, Makoto
    Korean -- VA suburbs
    Pizza -- Matchbox, 2amys, comet ping pong
    Coffee -- Chinatown Coffee
    bakeries -- thinking about it
    bagels -- truth, very few good bagels here
    VN -- VA burbs
    delis -- Taylor gourmet, Parkway in Silver Spring, Max's kosher cafe in wheaton
    Indian -- Rasika is arguably the best restaurant of any type in DC