1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

washington D.C. - best places/stores to shop?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by discostar, Jul 2, 2007.

1. slack tide

slack tide Senior member

That show was a virtual styleforum meetup--I was there, too, but to see the Pains. Went to the W afterparty and ran into Jian (ctrlaltelite) and Ben (sq4you).

Damn man, had we only known. We met up on the earlier side as we were both there to see Twin Shadow primarily but that would have been cool -- next time maybe..

need to check out whats coming up at Black Cat..

2. mellowfellow

mellowfellow Senior member

I was in dc for less than a day. Didn't get to explore the place since I was with the family. Will have to visit again. Also, I had some awesome viet food in VA, Saigon Cafe. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] people are crazy with cupcakes in dc. This is good! [​IMG] [​IMG] bad weather around noon time. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

yeah my gf LOVES sprinkles ... gtown cupcake is again way overrated

4. shimjohn

shimjohn Well-Known Member

you can always order the half/half at Bon chon. And heads up, a new Bon chon opened in Fairfax. much much better service than the one in anandale but a lot smaller. there's also supposed to be another one opening up in centreville.
    It's in Chantilly and it's already opened up. also, another good Korean chicken place is Cheogajip. I think there are a few locations, but the one I'm familiar with is on Evergreen Ln in Annandale (about 2 minutes away from Shilla Bakery). The chicken is ready much quicker than BonChon and has a much thicker sauce. It's def a personal taste preference. http://www.yelp.com/biz/cheogajip-chicken-annandale
    Who's a good tailor in DC? I need a bunch of alterations on a bunch of jackets. My arms are short so almost every jacket I buy that fits me decent in the chest/shoulders is way too long in the sleeves. Plus I need some pants let out (or I need to start taking laxatives, whatever). Any recs? Oh, and I'm reiterating my question about pocket-squares. Where's a good place to pick up a few? Better to just order online?
    Not sure if you commute or live in DC, but if you're willing to make the drive to NoVA, there is a really good tailor I go to in Burke: King's Park Tailoring. I had Mr. Chong hem my suit pants and then do my suit jacket. I got the sides tucked in and I wanted sleeves shortened, but since this jacket has functional sleeve buttons, it would look weird cutting it to the middle of the 4 buttons and I also wanted to keep the functional buttons...so I asked him to cut the sleeves and shorten them at the top where they meet the shoulders. This was the first job he did for me and needless to say, I was impressed! His pricing is fantastic, he did a damn fine job and I fully trust him and will go to him now, exclusively. It's also rare to see when a tailoring shop gets 5 star ratings & reviews from everyone on all the rating sites. Sorry for the advert, it's just that I went to a shitty tailoring shop in Annandale before and had a blazer and a few jeans ruined because of their incompetence. One of the things on his site that had me sold: "They can style your clothing conservatively like Hickey Freeman and Oxford, or more contemporary like Brioni and Zegna." Plus, he did tailoring for President Clinton. [​IMG]

5. ronniemj

ronniemj New Member

I too was searching for the best place to shop in Washigton D.C. Thank you for this thread.

6. Blog Marley

Blog Marley Senior member

Not sure if you commute or live in DC, but if you're willing to make the drive to NoVA, there is a really good tailor I go to in Burke: King's Park Tailoring.

I had Mr. Chong hem my suit pants and then do my suit jacket. I got the sides tucked in and I wanted sleeves shortened, but since this jacket has functional sleeve buttons, it would look weird cutting it to the middle of the 4 buttons and I also wanted to keep the functional buttons...so I asked him to cut the sleeves and shorten them at the top where they meet the shoulders. This was the first job he did for me and needless to say, I was impressed! His pricing is fantastic, he did a damn fine job and I fully trust him and will go to him now, exclusively. It's also rare to see when a tailoring shop gets 5 star ratings & reviews from everyone on all the rating sites. Sorry for the advert, it's just that I went to a shitty tailoring shop in Annandale before and had a blazer and a few jeans ruined because of their incompetence.

One of the things on his site that had me sold: "They can style your clothing conservatively like Hickey Freeman and Oxford, or more contemporary like Brioni and Zegna." Plus, he did tailoring for President Clinton. [​IMG]

Thanks for the suggestion. I've been looking for a tailor in the area - albeit it kind of out of the way but this sounds good. What's the price of a hem look like?

7. Mauro

Mauro Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    hey guys,

My annual Easter Egg Hunt is April 24th. Space is limited. If you are interested is coming check out the WvG facebook page for details.
    If you want to follow WvG befriend the page .
    It's always a good time!
    Booze, hot chicks, cash money, food, and fashion....that's enough right?

8. slack tide

slack tide Senior member

2 questions..

1) I don't have FaceBook. Can I still attend?
    2) Will you be selling clothes at this event? (I want to buy clothes).

9. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

^ Sounds like Mauro just did.

Can anyone tell me why there are approximately zero hotel rooms available in DC on the 22nd - 24th? I have to come into town for work, and I guess I'm crashing with a friend of mine because the travel agent couldn't find anything that wasn't either a) $250+ a night (work is paying, but that's kind of unreasonable) or b) in a totally sketchy area (like, way up New York Ave. in NE).

I'm pretty sure that just a month ago I was booking $80/night rooms at the Washington Plaza maybe a week in advance. [​IMG]

replying to an old post, but hotel rooms in DC are about 10x more scarce during the week due to traveling business people, conferences, etc. Weekends at 4* hotels can be had for $50 a night.

10. NameBack

NameBack Senior member

It's in Chantilly and it's already opened up.

also, another good Korean chicken place is Cheogajip. I think there are a few locations, but the one I'm familiar with is on Evergreen Ln in Annandale (about 2 minutes away from Shilla Bakery). The chicken is ready much quicker than BonChon and has a much thicker sauce. It's def a personal taste preference.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/cheogajip-chicken-annandale

Not sure if you commute or live in DC, but if you're willing to make the drive to NoVA, there is a really good tailor I go to in Burke: King's Park Tailoring.

I had Mr. Chong hem my suit pants and then do my suit jacket. I got the sides tucked in and I wanted sleeves shortened, but since this jacket has functional sleeve buttons, it would look weird cutting it to the middle of the 4 buttons and I also wanted to keep the functional buttons...so I asked him to cut the sleeves and shorten them at the top where they meet the shoulders. This was the first job he did for me and needless to say, I was impressed! His pricing is fantastic, he did a damn fine job and I fully trust him and will go to him now, exclusively. It's also rare to see when a tailoring shop gets 5 star ratings & reviews from everyone on all the rating sites. Sorry for the advert, it's just that I went to a shitty tailoring shop in Annandale before and had a blazer and a few jeans ruined because of their incompetence.

One of the things on his site that had me sold: "They can style your clothing conservatively like Hickey Freeman and Oxford, or more contemporary like Brioni and Zegna." Plus, he did tailoring for President Clinton. [​IMG]

Ah, thanks for the rec but unfortunately I live in DC and don't own a car, so this is probably going to be a no-go for me. Not exactly metro-accessible, lol. Sounds great though, if I had a car I would probably make the trip out there.

11. Mauro

yes, people who don't have FB may attend.
    I am not selling clothes however you may set up a time to come over whenever you like. Next week tuesday and weds will be a very good days. I am in NYC this thursday and friday and Ohio on Monday. thursday , friday, and saturday I am out of town.
    Sunday is the egg hunt!![​IMG]

12. shimjohn

Thanks for the suggestion. I've been looking for a tailor in the area - albeit it kind of out of the way but this sounds good. What's the price of a hem look like?
    When I went to pick up my suit jacket around closing time, he hemmed my pants in 20 minutes while we had a nice convo and charged me $14. Pretty good, if I may say so myself, for express service like that! [​IMG]

For suit jackets, I think his quotes were about $18-24 for sleeve shortening and about $28-45 for side take-in. Really good prices, especially for the quality of Mr. Chong's work. He's reserved, but very nice and will listen to whatever you request and really takes the time to measure everything.
    Ah, thanks for the rec but unfortunately I live in DC and don't own a car, so this is probably going to be a no-go for me. Not exactly metro-accessible, lol. Sounds great though, if I had a car I would probably make the trip out there.
    No prob. Yea, I figured you lived in DC.

Looks like there's a good number of tailors in DC with good ratings, too. Maybe give some of these guys a call or go in and check out their shops:
    http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc...shington%2C+dc

13. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

Quick PSA: A friend of mine just texted me to say that they currently have Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout at Bourbon (Adams Morgan location).

14. Mauro

15. Chip

Chip Senior member

good this means they should be hitting my local beer store very soon

16. Mauro

^^ doubtful. They only make so much and it's never enough to go around or so I hear.

17. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

in bottles??

Yeah, bottles. It was released in March, I think. I would expect De Vinos to have at least a couple of bottles.

18. Frere Taz

Frere Taz Member

I dropped-off two suit jackets with Mr. Chong in Burke last Saturday, for pick-up a week later. He was pleasant, a man of few words, and charged me about about $188 to take in the sides of each jacket and to slim-down their sleeves. I'll let u guys know what his handwork looks like once i get them back.

19. shimjohn

I dropped-off two suit jackets with Mr. Chong in Burke last Saturday, for pick-up a week later. He was pleasant, a man of few words, and charged me about about $188 to take in the sides of each jacket and to slim-down their sleeves. I'll let u guys know what his handwork looks like once i get them back.
    [​IMG]

20. NameBack

NameBack Senior member

Did the tasting room at Restaurant Eve last night in Alexandria with the girlfriend; really loved it.

Probably the best dining experience I've had -- strictly in terms of food I've had better, but the whole experience was really great at Eve. Service, attention to detail, ambience, comfort, it was all great. I like any place that gives me a palate cleanser after the amuse and a pre-dessert before my dessert course, not to mention personalizes my menu for my anniversary and provides a little anniversary tote bag with some of their (awesome) butter and a little package of their house scone mix.

Although I have to call bullshit on one thing: my fish course was allegedly "Tasmanian Sea Trout" which I'm 99% sure is not a real thing. Looked/tasted like salmon. Really, really good salmon, but still salmon.