washington D.C. - best places/stores to shop?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by discostar, Jul 2, 2007.

1. discostar

discostar Member

hi im from berlin visiting D.C. next month, so id like to know the best places for shopping. can you also give me some impressions what to buy there (jeans, shirts, tees, sunglasses, accesoirs, everything [​IMG] ? what are the must-haves over there? which brands are sold cheaper than in europe?

thanks

2. minhi

minhi Senior member

dc is pretty big, where are you staying and what kind of shops are you looking for? are you looking for fancy shops like gucci and prada? or more boutique shops?

for jeans, the sf standby is denimbar.
    there are also two barney's coop stores in DC, one close to the maryland border and one in georgetown.

there are also a lot of smaller shops, but you can help us narrow them down by telling us exactly what you are looking for...

3. discostar

discostar Member

actually i will stay in fairfax county VA visiting some relatives but it wouldnt be a prob to get to DC. boutique shops i guess, i search for casual but stylish clothes (denimbar), also for something more dressy (shirts f.e.). i hope you could get an image.

4. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

Tysons Corner! Specifically, Tysons II has Neiman Marcus and Saks Fifth Avenue.

5. ghulkhan

ghulkhan Senior member

I would reccomend Denimbar even if it wasnt the SF standby
    I dont really lke shopping too much in the area though but heres a list:

Tysons 1 for shops such as Nordstrom...guess..ax..banana..abrecrombie

Tysons 2 for saks and neimans, burberry, salvatore, thomas pink and such

if your into lv, gucci, hermes and such ...fairfax sqaure...its near tysons

freindship heights is like tysons basically so ou can go thre if you want as well

I think most designer brands such as DIOR, Margiela are a bit cheaper in Europe

Tommy Hilfiger is more expensive in Eurpope..so if youre into that

Otherwise DC really sucks fo rshoping and I would jsut hop on the bus to NYC or somthing

6. gumercindo

gumercindo Senior member

there are some boutiques in GTown. I have a Washingtonian "guide to shopping" that lists these boutiques, but: I can't find it, and IIRC, the boutiques were mostly for women.

7. zacharydschroeder

zacharydschroeder Senior member

I'm told Levi's are more expensive in Europe, plus Levi's makes different jeans for U.S. customers than European customers, so a nice pair of Matchsticks or Reds might make a cool American souvenir, especially since Levi's have been incredibly important to American culture. There is a Levi's store in Georgetown, which is only a few minutes bus ride from downtown D.C.

8. BrettChaotix

BrettChaotix Senior member

I'm told Levi's are more expensive in Europe, plus Levi's makes different jeans for U.S. customers than European customers, so a nice pair of Matchsticks or Reds might make a cool American souvenir, especially since Levi's have been incredibly important to American culture. There is a Levi's store in Georgetown, which is only a few minutes bus ride from downtown D.C.

I work for a European company and we are always hosting visitors from various countries. Our French colleagues go straight for two things; Levi's and peanut butter (apparently American-style peanut butter is hard to find in Paris). The guests from Munich and Hamburg have focused on shoes like Converse.

But anyway - Tysons 1/2 might be better choices since there are wide varieties of American stores to choose from. Levi's store is a good idea too.

9. discostar

discostar Member

thanks a lot @ all

I'm gonna check out the stores in dc+va first and maybe i'll make it to nyc.

10. discostar

discostar Member

btw im open for other suggestions [​IMG]

11. auto90403

auto90403 Senior member

Santa Monica, California/McLean, Virginia
    btw im open for other suggestions [​IMG]

What shopping DC has is not any different from what you'll find in any other big American city.

If you're seriously into clothes, make the trip to NYC. If you're driving, it's 4 hours each way.

12. Hoya Saxa

Hoya Saxa Senior member

Head up to Mazza Gallerie / Chevy Chase. The Neiman's is okay and the Saks men's store is pretty good for sportswear / casual clothes. You can head a couple of blocks up Wisconsin and hit the Barneys / Ralph Lauren / Gucci / etc. shops. Keep going a little further up into Bethesda and you can also hit Denim Bar.

Everything will be a good buy for you, given current exchange rates ...

Hoya

13. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

14. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Senior member

What shopping DC has is not any different from what you'll find in any other big American city.

Yeah, only worse. [​IMG]

I'd add Relish in Georgetown. Really, the only "destination" in the area is Denimbar.

15. Hoya Saxa

Hoya Saxa Senior member

Yeah, only worse. [​IMG]

I'd add Relish in Georgetown. Really, the only "destination" in the area is Denimbar.

Relish is great for women's clothing ... unfortunately, they got out of menswear in February of this year ...