• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Washing (vs dry cleaning) RLBL linen pants

sdash

Reaction score
I recently got a pair of all-linen pants that are "dry clean only." Since linen washes well in my experience, I wondered if I could wash (or perhaps hand wash) and air dry contra the instructions. I searched the SF archives and found mixed advice; I'm not too concerned with shrink, so the most convincing argument (to me) for following the instructions exactly is that a "dress" waistband can respond poorly to machine washing. But obviously I'm not knowledgeable enough to know how risky it would be, etc.

So I thought I would try a different tack and ask the board if anyone has experience (positive or negative) washing this particular pair of pants, since I imagine it's somewhat common:

The make is Ralph Lauren Polo Blue Label, "Regent" model, partially lined, with a complicated-looking waistband; I've recently seen a number of identical or very similar pairs on the B&S forum. (I picked these up at a discount store myself, so I'm guessing they're identical...)

Any thoughts? And thanks for your help.

PinkPantser

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe you're right in being worried about damaging the waist band more so than damaging the fabric. I don't see how hand washing could hurt, but I would not put any pants with a "dress" waist in a wash cycle. If they were my pants I would follow the tag and dry clean them once at the beginning of the season and spot clean as necessary.

ed1234

Reaction score
Be warned - I had a great pair of Gieves & Hawkes linen trousers and they were washed (nb - not by me) and shrunk. Having got them let out (figured they'd be good for schleping about trousers even if not for anything else) and being assured that once linen had shrunk, it could shrink no more, I washed it and it promptly shrunk beyond repair.

sdash

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Maybe I should be worried more about shrink than I am. (I have a number of pairs of linen pants that haven't shrunk at all in the wash, but then again they're explicitly washable, so maybe the fabric was pre-shrunk...)

I would be happy if I could dry clean them irregularly and spot clean the rest of the time, but it seems like that would be hard to pull off w/ linen pants -- since they don't air out as well as wool and need to be ironed between virtually every wearing; I'd worry about baking the run-of-the-mill dirt/sweat/etc right into the fibers.

If I do decide to wash these, I'll definitely report back. But for now I'm still pondering my options...

TheDryCleaner

Reaction score
Linen is a fabric that generally can be washed without issues. The problem may be that the goods used by RL may not have been pre-shrunk.

Many garment makers tend to put in a dry clean only label into garments so that the garment is not thought of as "discount" and washable at home.

We have washed many dry clean only, linen items at our shop, but we have used professional "wet cleaning" equipment and residual moisture dryers. These garments generally get steamed out on tension pressing equipment which will bring the garment back to it's correct size.

I would be cautious to through these trousers into a home washing machine as you may end up with a less than perfect result, and pants that may be somewhat smaller!

Best,
Jerry Pozniak
www.drycleaningtips.com

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
if you dont mind a small shrinkage, go ahead and do a gentle cold hand wash.

fill a wash basin with cold water, a tiny bit of detergent, and use your hands in an updown puffy churn of the pant, no circular motion , or hard agitation of motion.

for about 5-7 minutes.

drain, and fill back up for a rinse in same hand motion.

lay flat on surface to dry.

easy

Mujib

Reaction score
I hand washed (cold water) my RL linen pants and something funky happened to them. Anyone know what this is and if it can be repaired? This is all along the creases. Does the fact that they are lined have anything to do with it?

9E87B0D1-BE05-47FA-8AB4-08CF8A017518.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads