• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Washing suede shoes in washing machine?? serious question on how to go about doing so...

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I have a pair of N.D.C. suede shoes that have gotten some wear, I dig the worn roughed up look, and I know some of the casual type suede shoes come advertised as 'washed suede' I am assuming this process is done before the soles are attached...

Anyway, I was thinking about throwing these in the washing machine and seeing what will happen, however I dont want to completly ruin them... any thoughts?

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Don't bother with the washing machine. Just wash them under running water and scrub with a nail brush. Use some saddle soap if you so desire.

Just a question: Are you trying to make them look "roughed up" or are you trying to actually clean them?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Have you seen the video on the Leffot blog of him hand washing some suede shoes?
I suspect one run through the washing machine won't do much.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't bother with the washing machine. Just wash them under running water and scrub with a nail brush. Use some saddle soap if you so desire.
Just a question: Are you trying to make them look "roughed up" or are you trying to actually clean them?

They have a decent amount of wear so they already have a slight 'roughed up' look... however they also have a number of stains on them that i want out... I have tried the normal 'suede bar' and brush method, it didnt get the stains out...

Have you seen the video on the Leffot blog of him hand washing some suede shoes?
I suspect one run through the washing machine won't do much.

I have not seen this video but will look for it, sounds like hand washing would be the way to go.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Handwashing using suede soap. Ta-da.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Where the hell am I? On what planet would someone really consider putting shoes in a washing machine?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would await an Iroh guide on washing shoes in the washing machine before taking on this endeavor.

THIS!

Seriously, even if the suede itself can stand it I would be worried about the linings, inner sole construction, etc. etc. Lots less expensive 'dress shoes' have pretty much cardboard innards.

They are not made like an athletic shoe which might, or might not, be able to take an actual washing.

Scrub them under running water and try to keep the insides reasonably dry. NAMOR has a video of this.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: did the Leffot method from the video and they look amazing! brand new, the suede feels just like it did when I bought them, all stains, marks etc. arre gone... was very surprised with the results.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads