1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Washing suede shoes in washing machine?? serious question on how to go about doing so...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by pg600rr, Dec 6, 2011.

1. pg600rr

pg600rr Senior member

So I have a pair of N.D.C. suede shoes that have gotten some wear, I dig the worn roughed up look, and I know some of the casual type suede shoes come advertised as 'washed suede' I am assuming this process is done before the soles are attached...

Anyway, I was thinking about throwing these in the washing machine and seeing what will happen, however I dont want to completly ruin them... any thoughts?

2. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

Don't bother with the washing machine. Just wash them under running water and scrub with a nail brush. Use some saddle soap if you so desire.

Just a question: Are you trying to make them look "roughed up" or are you trying to actually clean them?

3. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Have you seen the video on the Leffot blog of him hand washing some suede shoes?
    I suspect one run through the washing machine won't do much.

4. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

I would await an Iroh guide on washing shoes in the washing machine before taking on this endeavor.

1 person likes this.
  5. pg600rr

pg600rr Senior member

They have a decent amount of wear so they already have a slight 'roughed up' look... however they also have a number of stains on them that i want out... I have tried the normal 'suede bar' and brush method, it didnt get the stains out...

I have not seen this video but will look for it, sounds like hand washing would be the way to go.

6. LynahFaithful

LynahFaithful Senior member

7. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

Then don't put them in your washing machine.

8. onix

onix Senior member

Handwashing using suede soap. Ta-da.

9. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

exactly

10. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

listen to this sage advice....

11. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Where the hell am I? On what planet would someone really consider putting shoes in a washing machine?

12. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

seems kinda "odd" right??

13. Kauai

Kauai Senior member

14. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

THIS!

Seriously, even if the suede itself can stand it I would be worried about the linings, inner sole construction, etc. etc. Lots less expensive 'dress shoes' have pretty much cardboard innards.

They are not made like an athletic shoe which might, or might not, be able to take an actual washing.

Scrub them under running water and try to keep the insides reasonably dry. NAMOR has a video of this.

15. pg600rr

pg600rr Senior member

UPDATE: did the Leffot method from the video and they look amazing! brand new, the suede feels just like it did when I bought them, all stains, marks etc. arre gone... was very surprised with the results.

16. iroh

iroh Senior member

how durable is suede, will the texture ever wear down flat? or is it really resilient?

17. Ania Podhajska

Ania Podhajska New Member

Oh my... There are some washing machines with a dedicated programma even... And Im actually always throwing my shoes in the washing machine. Just a bit confused about my pumas SUEDE. A friend of mine whos working with sneakers profesionally advised me to clean it just above the steam with a suede brush. Lets give it a try...