• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

washing shirts...

johninla

Reaction score
i machine wash my shirts on the delicate cycle and i use a mild detergent, but sometimes the collars are still a problem. i'm looking for suggestions on how to shirt collars from graying. is something like spray and wash too harsh?

Todd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by johninla
i machine wash my shirts on the delicate cycle and i use a mild detergent, but sometimes the collars are still a problem. i'm looking for suggestions on how to shirt collars from graying. is something like spray and wash too harsh?

What do you mean graying? Fading?

My nicer pieces recommend line drying and that is what I do. Cold wash, line dry. By line dry I mean "put on a hanger and hang in the closet". Not "put on a clothesline in the backyard".

fastrunningmom

Reaction score
If you are using a liquid detergent, try pouring it from your measure ionto each collar as you put the shirt in the machine. Don't use any extra detergent, just use what you would have used. I think you'll find that will clean the collars.

Earthmover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by johninla

If you mean that you're getting a ring around your collar and cuffs, the easiest thing would be to use something like a 5 part water / 1 part liquid detergent solution, apply on collar/cuffs and brush moderately with a toothbrush. If it's something already set in and you need to bring in the heavy artillery, I think there are many stronger chemical-based solutions you can turn to.

Great Zamfir

Reaction score
My nicer pieces recommend line drying and that is what I do. Cold wash, line dry. By line dry I mean "put on a hanger and hang in the closet". Not "put on a clothesline in the backyard".
How does this help? Will it not dry too slow and become a bit smelly? What is wrong with the garden? It makes it a bit stiff, but also quite fresh. in what way can it hurt?

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a previous thread on this topic recommended shampoo. Since the grunge on your collar is primarily heair oil and neck sweat, seems logical. I tried it, and I like how it works. I massage a little dab of shampoo along the ring after wetting the collar, and then toss into the wash afterward. I have noticed this works best when the ring of dirt is fresh, rather than after a few days on the floor.

augustin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Earthmover
If you mean that you're getting a ring around your collar and cuffs, the easiest thing would be to use something like a 5 part water / 1 part liquid detergent solution, apply on collar/cuffs and brush moderately with a toothbrush.
Be a little careful with the toothbrush. On a favorite older shirt of mine a little bit of toothbrush frayed, no, shredded, the collar.
musicboohoo[1].gif
Make sure you use a softer used toothbrush.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads