• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

washing raw denim

braidkid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello there,
I just got my first pair of APC NS's and I'm excited to say the least. I've been reading this site for a few months now and have a question regarding washing raw dry denim. It is my understanding that I should wear these as long as possible without washing for them to get their own distinct wear. My question is, what is it about washing that removes honeycombs/whiskering/etc..? Is it the water or the dryer? What's the difference between soaking in cold water for 20 minutes vs. washing in the washing machine? I noticed my APC's said to wash with black woolite....what's this for?

If anyone can give some basic info as to why not to wash denim and what washing does to the fabric, I would be very thankful. And please dont say, use the search function, as I have never seen the reason behind not washing jeans and the theory behind it. Thanks...

kapay

Reaction score
Wearing jeans for long periods of time removes indigo dye where there is the most wear. Washing them removes indigo evenly throughout the jeans making the wear less distinct. Cold water removes minimal indigo while machine wash removes maximum indigo. Black woolite is supposed to prevent a lot of indigo loss however most people will tell you to use organic soap because I believe it doesn't have any active ingredients that would aid indigo loss.

braidkid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, Kapay, thanks for the informative post.

Cali4nia_Matt

Reaction score
The APC Information card also explains the Seawater Recipe which says to "go swimming in the ocean wearing your jeans, rub your jeans with dry sand, and repeat several times." Was this a joke or serious? Has anyone actually done this?

kapay

Reaction score
The Seawater recipe comes from the idea that salt will also prevent indigo loss but many people say this is either false or not worth swimming around in the ocean. Also the sand will create more unique distressing. Unfortunately one of the biggest reasons not to do it is your jeans smelling like the ocean once it's nice and dry since it replaces regular washing.

Cali4nia_Matt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kapay
The Seawater recipe comes from the idea that salt will also prevent indigo loss but many people say this is either false or not worth swimming around in the ocean. Also the sand will create more unique distressing. Unfortunately one of the biggest reasons not to do it is your jeans smelling like the ocean once it's nice and dry since it replaces regular washing.

I doubt the sand would do much if it's only a couple times during one day.

kapay

Reaction score
It'll do subtle fading... they are tiny rocks after all...

(yeah i know they're not really rocks but I'm an art major and I watched Eternal Sunshine. Cut me some slack)

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cali4nia_Matt
The APC Information card also explains the Seawater Recipe which says to "go swimming in the ocean wearing your jeans, rub your jeans with dry sand, and repeat several times." Was this a joke or serious? Has
anyone actually done this?

i was in ko chang thailand and took my 6 month old rescues for a bath in the gulf of thailand in june. the girl i was chilling with was like "why the **** did you wear your jeans into the ocean?" it ended up that i needed to wash them anyways because they never properly dried due to the intense humidity in thailand. it works, very little indigo loss if any at all...more like just dirt came out

Cali4nia_Matt

Reaction score
I suppose the only real reason to do it instead of putting them into a bath tub full of cold water is to be able to say you jumped into the ocean with them on. Though, wouldn't the sea water make them smell?

Johnny5

Reaction score
i soak my nudie dry in hot water and there's also minimal indigo lost.... (ultra mild lost)

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
haha braidkid I thought it was a troll until I saw the date.
P.s. sneaky russian bastards

Reaction score
tee hee thread necro

2py47kx.jpg

raags

Reaction score
What's the deal with washing black raw denim?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads