• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Washing jeans and personal hygiene

lurker

Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance. I cannot understand how people can wear their jeans for weeks, months or even forever before they wash it. Yes, it might in some cases make the pair of jeans look better by not washing it too frequently. But what about personal hygiene. The groin is one of the area of human body which is more amenable to the growth of fungus, etc. I cannot imagine what one's pair of jeans can pick up inside without getting washed for weeks and months. Does it not even smell?

P3R3

Reaction score
I wash my jeans everytime I wear them. The MAX I have ever worn a jean, was mabe 3 times and those were for less than 4 hours each time.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lurker
Pardon my ignorance. I cannot understand how people can wear their jeans for weeks, months or even forever before they wash it. Yes, it might in some cases make the pair of jeans look better by not washing it too frequently. But what about personal hygiene. The groin is one of the area of human body which is more amenable to the growth of fungus, etc. I cannot imagine what one's pair of jeans can pick up inside without getting washed for weeks and months. Does it not even smell?

Typically unless you're wearing them 24 hrs a day, hanging them up and airing them out overnight or whenever you're not wearing them will help keep them fairly fresh, at some point though, it's likely they'll need to be washed. Personally I rotate between a number of pairs of dry jeans and am able to hang them all up to be aired out, I don't notice any difference in smell between newer pairs of jeans I just bought and ones I've had for months.

theshonen8899

Reaction score
We arn't stupid enough to have bad smelling jeans grow fungus through our boxers if thats what you're asking.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
If fungus is growing in the crotch area after a few weeks, I think you may want to worry about showering instead of washing your jeans. Irish showers don't count. If you shower every day, and don't play pickup basketball consistantly in your jeans, you should be ok for a few months.

Fat-Elvis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lurker
If your jeans are growing fungus in the crotch region after just weeks of wearing, I don't think you're one to be telling other's about personal hygiene.

lurker

Reaction score
The groin area is a warm and moist area conducive to the growth of fungus. Many men probably had experienced crotch itch in the past wearing other types of pants. Crotch itch essentially is a fungal infection of the skin of the groin area. One can have this infection wearing any types of pants, even if we wash them frequently. I am just saying if one keeps wearing a pair of jeans which has not been washed for days or weeks, it will create a good environment for the above to happen.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
teacha.gif
Cotton absorbs moisture very well, so if the pants dry between wearings, it will inhibit fungus growth more than wool. Therefore, if you sweat a lot, you should rotate between pairs of jeans and remove them when they are damp. Along with the moisture, dirt and oil particles will get trapped in the cotton. Molecularly, cotton is a polymer, but my knowledge of chemistry is not enough to say whether those particles are getting caught at the molecular level or just in the weave. Regardless, jeans are technically dirty, but the dirt is trapped in the fabric, so I'm not sure that it matters. Does anyone know how cotton reacts to steam? (The suggestion has been made in the past that steaming might be a good way to clean jeans without the changes that come with soaking.)

capnpyro

Reaction score
I don't wash sweaters/sweatshirts/jackets more than couple times a year if that. My jeans are as sturdier than any sweatshirt and look better after they're broken in a bit, even my normal prewashed jeans. Why would I want to go and wash em again when I just got them all comfortable again? Do you have trouble with getting yourself dirty? Spilling food on yourself? Cause I don't.

theshonen8899

Reaction score
Dude this is the stupid freaking topic. What the hell do you mean by fungus on the crotch. I and no one else on this forum has experienced bacteria civilization on our groin and as long as it stays that way, we're fine.

You talk about how jeans react when not washing but we've witnessed it.
LEARN BEFORE POSTING ABOUT CROTCHES.

scoon0224

Reaction score
I don't know about anyone else, but the only clothes I own that get washed after every wear are - Underwear, socks, workout gear. Laundering is hard on clothes.
Even t-shirts get a couple wears if I didn't sweat in them the first time.

My APC's had no smell even 8 months in, when they had their first wash. But then I had to wear them another month before they felt right again.

Before the question is asked... I have frequent compliments on my scent from the fairer sex. (that says compliments, not comments or complaints)

If fungus is showing up, it probably isn't laundering habits that are to blame. Fungus has to come from somewhere, it doesn't just show up. In 6 years of 6-day a week training, I have never had any problem.

Don't work out in your jeans.
If they're damp from the last time you wore them, let them dry.
If they smell, wash them

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
The only way I could imagine this being a problem is if you go commando while breaking in your jeans...

And why isn't this an issue for people who don't like to have their suits dry-cleaned?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics