• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Washing/Ironing a Knit Tie

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I stained a favorite cotton knit tie of mine with some coffee, and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience washing it.

I tried rinsing a portion of it with some warm water, but it left the spot very wrinkled (and the stain still in place).

Anyway, has anyone tried washing and ironing knit ties? I know that it's a no-no for regular ties, but wasn't sure if it applied to knit ties as well.

Any pointers would be great - thanks!

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cotton? Delicates bag should be fine, cold water and air dry because I doubt it's preshrunk. The main issue with laundering normal ties is the silk and the wool interlining, neither of which tend to play nicely with laundering.

Wait for somebody else though- I could be completely off on this, and wouldn't want to send you off in the wrong direction without a second opinion.

Shutups

Reaction score
why dont you try hand washing it with some delicate soap? before you do that, use one of those stain removing pens, they seem to work. if its a cotton (not silk) tie, you should be able to iron it, but do so gently (you dont wanna press real hard on the knit and risk damaging it).

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, folks.

I took my chances -- went ahead and handwashed the tie, and then steamed it.

The stain came off, but the tie still looked a little wrinkled. So, I placed it between a towel and ironed it on cotton/high. That seemed to more or less fix it and I've left it hanging in my closet.

If the wrinkles don't come out in a week, I may iron the tie pressed between sheets, or directly even. Either way, the stain's off. :)

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.