washing denim with woolite black?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mayday981, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Mayday981

Mayday981 Senior member

Hi everybody! I was wondering what exactly is the procedure to wash denim with woolite black in a bath tub? Would I just have a bath tub of cold water and pour some woolite black in it? Also how long would I wait for it to be done? Also do I starch afterwards?

2. robbie

robbie Pleading Poverty

yeah, just add the soap to water of your preffered temperature.

3. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Just throw it in the washer with the woolite black. If you wash it in the bathtub, chances are your jeans are going to feel overly moist and smell like soap for a long while because they won't get the detergent rinsed out.

4. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

5. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

Yes, the politically correct term is WOOLITEÂ[​IMG] Dark Laundry Fabric Wash, commonly abbreviated as "WOOLITEÂ[​IMG] Dark" (and yes, WOOLITEÂ[​IMG] must be in all caps at all times.) You can find WOOLITEÂ[​IMG] Dark at your local Wal-Mart, Target, Albertson's, Kroger, Safeway, Costco, Sam's Club, CVS, etc. etc. etc.

To answer your third question, wait as long as possible, or six months (whichever comes second) before washing them for the first time.

To answer your forth question (inexpertly, I'm afraid, but just from personal experience) -- if your jeans are raw denim, and you wash them (I recommend using WOOLITEÂ[​IMG] Dark Laundry Fabric Wash) then you will NOT need to starch them afterwards, because they will be plenty stiff after they dry; furthermore, starching could lead to a breakdown of the fibers over time.

edit: Oops, I seem to have misread your third question. If you are washing raw denim, you should remove the jeans before the water turns inky blue (which would indicate the loss of the top layer of indigo dye).

6. HighFidelity

HighFidelity Member

I wash all of my raw jeans with Woolite black and they come out just fine. I found it at the local supermarket.

7. zacharydschroeder

zacharydschroeder Senior member

don't starch. if you do, don't over-starch. moderation is key.

8. amerikajinda

I wash all of my raw jeans with Woolite black and they come out just fine. I found it at the local supermarket.
    WOOLITEÂ[​IMG] Dark!!! [​IMG]
    don't starch. if you do, don't over-starch.
    Make up your mind!!! [​IMG]

9. Mayday981

Mayday981 Senior member

edit: Oops, I seem to have misread your third question. If you are washing raw denim, you should remove the jeans before the water turns inky blue (which would indicate the loss of the top layer of indigo dye).[/quote]

How exactly do you know when the top layer of indigo dye is gone? Is it just when the water is all blue or is there a certain time period? Please advise!

Thanks,

frank

10. amerikajinda

edit: Oops, I seem to have misread your third question. If you are washing raw denim, you should remove the jeans before the water turns inky blue (which would indicate the loss of the top layer of indigo dye).

How exactly do you know when the top layer of indigo dye is gone? Is it just when the water is all blue or is there a certain time period? Please advise!

Thanks,

frank[/quote]

Well I'm no expert, but what I've noticed from personal experience is that for the first few minutes, the water is clear, but then once it begins to turn blue, that's when I know I should stop washing... using cold water seems to buy me more time (i.e., the water doesn't turn blue as quickly) but I always feel worried when I start to see the water turning an inky blue because I don't want my jeans to lose too much color. I don't believe the entire top layer of indigo will ever be gone, and perhaps losing some of the top layer will better bring out the fades and wear that many find desirable. As for a time period, I'd say don't wash more than half an hour...

11. cldpsu

cldpsu Senior member

Yes, the politically correct term is WOOLITEÂ[​IMG] Dark Laundry Fabric Wash, commonly abbreviated as "WOOLITEÂ[​IMG] Dark" (and yes, WOOLITEÂ[​IMG] must be in all caps at all times.) You can find WOOLITEÂ[​IMG] Dark at your local Wal-Mart, Target, Albertson's, Kroger, Safeway, Costco, Sam's Club, CVS, etc. etc. etc.

To answer your third question, wait as long as possible, or six months (whichever comes second) before washing them for the first time.

To answer your forth question (inexpertly, I'm afraid, but just from personal experience) -- if your jeans are raw denim, and you wash them (I recommend using WOOLITEÂ[​IMG] Dark Laundry Fabric Wash) then you will NOT need to starch them afterwards, because they will be plenty stiff after they dry; furthermore, starching could lead to a breakdown of the fibers over time.

waa, perapera desu ne

12. amerikajinda

waa, perapera desu ne

perapera shyaberanai... [​IMG]

13. ghulkhan

ghulkhan Senior member

is this better for the jeans over bronners ?

or does this just keep them darker and bronners just keeps the fabric in better shape ?