• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

washing APCs first time...

Anamoly

Reaction score
Bought a pair of rescues about 9 months ago. Have been wearing them hard for that time to present. Im thinking of washing them for the first time, and the question is: what can I expect?

Color changes? Wear changes like in the knee and pocket and such? A change in the weight of the denim? Anything like that?

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look on APC official thread as well as the same thread on superfuture. Good examples.

Anamoly

Reaction score
Ok thanks

Eh, Im not sorting through all those pages. If anyone has a quick answer id appreciate it...

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Why does it matter what you're going to expect. It won't change what's going to happen. No matter what i tell you, the outcome will be the same. Throw them in the wash inside out and hang them to dry. It's not science. You probably have seen enough "fades" on apcs to know what it's going to look like. It'll look faded. Color will be lighter and wear marks will be more prominent. You already knew that though. Just wash the jeans and then put them in the "Pics of your denim" thread so other people can look at faded apcs and not have to make threads about it.

Brandon Abell

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Anamoly
Ok thanks

Eh, Im not sorting through all those pages. If anyone has a quick answer id appreciate it...

Look at other old jeans of similar fit you have. The fading will be the same but a higher contrast. More importantly though: they will smell much better.

Anamoly

Reaction score
D-damn. Since its my first pair of APCs I was simply looking for the amount of fade I would get post wash. And no I dont already know the answer or else I wouldn't be asking. And also Im not looking through, nor do I have the time to search through 8 pages of a thread for a simple answer.

You guys are being really contrary. I particularly like this line:

"Why does it matter what you're going to expect. It won't change what's going to happen."

Thanks for the philosophy lesson, but in the time it took you to write your whole reply you could've just answered me.

lol8[1].gif

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
musicboohoo[1].gif

The reason you're getting such negative responses is that you come on and ask a question whose answer is easy to find if you just look for it. The you say "I don't want to make the effort to look for the answer, so why dont all of you just take the time and make the effort to spoonfeed me exactly what i want to know"

want us to wipe your runny nose, too, pookie?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
D-damn. Since its my first pair of APCs I was simply looking for the amount of fade I would get post wash. And no I dont already know the answer or else I wouldn't be asking. And also Im not looking through, nor do I have the time to search through 8 pages of a thread for a simple answer.

You guys are being really contrary. I particularly like this line:

"Why does it matter what you're going to expect. It won't change what's going to happen."

Thanks for the philosophy lesson, but in the time it took you to write your whole reply you could've just answered me.

lol8[1].gif

The very same thread you're *****-whining about also said: "It'll look faded. Color will be lighter and wear marks will be more prominent", which pretty much answers your question. As he suggested, if you want to know exactly what they'll look like after the first wash, the only way to know that is to wash them. If the uncertainty is getting your panties in this much of a twist, maybe you shouldn't buy wearing raw denim.

chronoaug

Reaction score
Thanks for the philosophy lesson, but in the time it took you to write your whole reply you could’ve just answered me.
lol8[1].gif

Originally Posted by chronoaug
Throw them in the wash inside out and hang them to dry. It's not science. You probably have seen enough "fades" on apcs to know what it's going to look like. It'll look faded. Color will be lighter and wear marks will be more prominent.
I answered your question, but also gave you a dose of reality and made you understand how pointless it was to ask. But i was still nice and gave you the only answer that is available if you read my post. You should be grateful i answered your question instead of just mocking you for being really lazy like i should have. I'll be sure not to answer your questions in the future if you're going to mock me for it. Thank you.

Anamoly

Reaction score
Listen to me: you dont pay attention. I asked what type of fading and such should I expect from a first time wash of APCs a specific brand of denim. You answered:

"Throw them in the wash inside out and hang them to dry"
Doesn't answer the question. Its like someone asking how do you fly and plane and you answering get in the plane and fly it.

"It's not science. You probably have seen enough "fades" on apcs to know what it's going to look like."
Actually it is science: chemicals react, indigo fades. And no I havent seen enough fades to know what it looks like because, again, this is my first APC wash.

It'll look faded. Color will be lighter and wear marks will be more prominent.
Iltll look faded, doesnt answer the AMOUNT of fade or WHERE the fading typically happens on APCs. And HOW lighter will the color be and particularly where on APCs will the wear marks be more prominent.

So you see you really didnt answer any questions. Good day sir.

chronoaug

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
It'll look faded. Color will be lighter and wear marks will be more prominent.
Where will they be faded? Where you put wear on them Have a lot of whiskers on the back of your knee or lap? They will stand out more. Where will there be more fading? Where you put the most strain on them like your thighs and ass. Have you ever seen a pair of washed apcs? They're lighter, i don't have a exact formula for how lighter they'll be. Not super light blue, but not the deep indigo it once was. There are a million threads out there so quit being such a lazy ungrateful ass. This is a thread to help people, not to service lazy people with stupid questions. Have you seen how many questions i've tried to answer in the APC sizing thread? I'll stick to helping people who appreciate it. May as well start a new username, since the only person who didn't completely ignore you now thinks you're an ass. The only reason i replied after you bitched me out again is because i am bored before class and decided to spell out how they would fade for you. The only thing i didn't do for you was look up an entire library of APC fades for you to browse.
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
they will look like this:
atlantidadigital003vw6.jpg

What the hell is that gold/brown stuff on the legs of the jeans? Is there a need to line it with leather/gold? Also, i think i would break in half if i tried to arch my back like that. Ouch.

changnyo

Reaction score
if represent x as the shades of indigo lost (check the indigo fade wash charts, dont really worry about which one you use unless you are looking for a really exact answer), post wash

x = {q + [q^2 + (r-p^2)^3]^(1/2)}^(1/3) + {q - [q^2 + (r-p^2)^3]^(1/2)}^(1/3) + p where p = -b/(3a), q = p^3 + (bc-3ad)/(6a^2), r = c/(3a)

a represents the humidity of the jeans cross referenced with the weight of the denim and how much indigo you have lost thus far (although this has a neglible effect on the weight of the denim, it matters a lot when you deal with wash dynamics). you can find this out by calculating the average humidity your jeans encountered, and then plotting it on a graph side by side with the amount of indigo already lost. youll get a lot more reliable results if you accurately track indigo lost day to day, but from the sound of it you're not really concerned about that.
b represents the average temperature of the jeans as they were worn. i hope you didnt make the newbie mistake of wearing your jeans from season to season, because this will have a serious impact on your jeans. if you mix high temperature fades with low temperature fades, not only will your fade yield be substantially lower, they wont look nearly as good as the sorts of fades you see in other peoples jeans.
c represents the type of blood used to dye the jeans. most jeans today use synthetic dyes, but iirc apc uses a really different mixture of dragon and german shepherds, which accounts for the amount of stretching you see in their denim. im not entirely sure what the coefficient they (top scientists at MIT specializing in indigo dye string theory) found was, but i think for your purposes you can just use 6.9
d represents this is a really stupid question.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics