• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Washing and Distressing Denim

Dragoste9871

Reaction score
I recently bought a pair of dry jeans that i would liek to wash my self before the normal time period. Im interested in giving them a faded look through a wash, but i do not know how to do so. Im also looking 2 distress the jeans after washing and fading them and im wondering how to do that.

If anyone can tell me wat kind of chemicals or washes are used to make jeans look faded and how to distress them after i would really appreciate it.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Industrial/commercial distressing is a complex process that you really do not have access to. Sand blasting, potassium bleaching, and resin baking require chemicals and equipment that would be completely ridiculous for a normal person. You can do basic things like using a cheese grater, but that's honestly a pretty lame technique. Really, the best way to distress anything is to just wear it.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you really have to, you can use very fine grit sandpaper.

heres what i would do....
-starch the **** out of the jeans and wear till dry.
-lightly sand the peaks of the creases. im thining if you can use wet sandpaper it would work better, but im just guessing.
-work the jeans until you have the desired effect. have pictures of authenticly worn jeans nearby, or real vintage jeans, to see how the contrast should look.
-wash them 3 or four times to blend in the distressing.
wear the **** out of them and they will look better and better.

Reaction score
or just lend them to CM for a few weeks

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
send them to me... i do custom 1 year washes. abot a 2 month turnaround time tho. its worth it... they come out more real looking thn 45rpm bespoke.

nomovement

Reaction score
typical cm day (gleaned from sf posts)
wake up, drive my truck to work-which is usually a trailer dsomewhere building some ****, ask a co-worker to kindly take pictures of the honeycombs on my jeans...in my private trailer, get turned down, send 45 minutes taking pics myself in my vip bathroom, spend about 4 hours posting on sf (hey, I have a lot of cool ****, what can I say?) work in between posts, go skating for an hour after work, sweat about a gallon of fluid, fall down a lot, go to marshalls to find sda's for $10, go to thrift store to find tee's like other sf'ers, post on sf about my new ****, go bike ridin' to the bar, where I usually get in a fight, if I can't find a fight, go wrestle with dogs for an hour, go home and slee, get ready for another day.

****, CM is like a modern day paul bunyan (i checked the spelling on google)

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow... but take the pic time and add it to the skating and youre about right.

nomovement

Reaction score
sorry, I can't skate in the heat for more than an hour-I thought it was a universal law.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i grew up in florida, south of tampa, so heat and humidity doesnt really bother me. i can usually go 2 to 3 hours without a real break, at a skatepark. all day street skating.

and probably sweat a gallon and a half, not a gallon. insted of greycast jeans i have whitecast.

JO3B

Reaction score
someone on one of the SF' once mentioned taking cut off (possibly from a hemmed jean) denim swatches and rubbing them with the jeans to transfer indigo.

i assume it might work in the sanding process, almost like using your thumb to blend in pencil shading.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheapmutha
i grew up in florida, south of tampa, so heat and humidity doesnt really bother me. i can usually go 2 to 3 hours without a real break, at a skatepark. all day street skating.

and probably sweat a gallon and a half, not a gallon. insted of greycast jeans i have whitecast.

You're the opposite of me then. I grew up in Canada, albeit in SE Ontario, not nearly the coldest place in Canada, but I don't close my windows until the first frost, and I run in up to -20 C (Yep, it's a rule. You have to draw the line somewhere.) I did grow up in possibly the slushiest city in Canada, and that is pretty slushy. Goretex boots were a necessity unless you are going to be miserable all day. In Boston, I wear boots instead of sneakers about twice a year.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads