• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Washing a pair of jeans

lcordaro

Reaction score
Just curious

How long do you wear a pair of jeans before you wash them. I normally wear them for a few weeks and then throw them in the washer. What's your normal routine.

nairb49

Reaction score
You're going to get some interesting replies, I wager.

Are you asking in the context of how to get the best wear?
Or in general?

Since most of my jeans are raw, I wash jeans only when they must have a wash. Ie. smell/spill.

Usually works out to about once every 3 months or so.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I keep on thinking I should wash my jeans, but I never do. So the short answer is: never.

I have 3 pairs I wear constantly. I've owned one for about a year, another for about 6 months and the last pair for about 3 months. I'd wash them if they ever smelled, but they don't so I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

lcordaro

Reaction score
Yes, in general I was asking how often, just to clean them. WOW! I guess I am washing them to often. I guess I need to stop that. They normally don't smell when I throw them in the washer. I have to re-think this.

Thanks

seoulfully

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lcordaro
Yes, in general I was asking how often, just to clean them. WOW! I guess I am washing them to often. I guess I need to stop that. They normally don't smell when I throw them in the washer. I have to re-think this.

Thanks

depends on what you want. if you have raw denim (this applies a little less to washed), then a lot of ppl go 6 months or more before the first wash. then as long as they can between washes. maybe every 3-4 months. of course this is if you want a certain look (faded, whiskers, honeycombs, etc). lately i think more and more that ppl are all doing the same thing and while everyone gets their own fades and whiskers, i think it's all kind of the same look and ppl are too religious about it. so do what you want with your clothes. i'd still suggest not washing denim all that often just so you don't weaken the fabric too much (well more about the dryer than the washer, but still).

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by seoulfully
depends on what you want. if you have raw denim (this applies a little less to washed), then a lot of ppl go 6 months or more before the first wash. then as long as they can between washes. maybe every 3-4 months. of course this is if you want a certain look (faded, whiskers, honeycombs, etc). lately i think more and more that ppl are all doing the same thing and while everyone gets their own fades and whiskers, i think it's all kind of the same look and ppl are too religious about it. so do what you want with your clothes. i'd still suggest not washing denim all that often just so you don't weaken the fabric too much (well more about the dryer than the washer, but still).

Actually both Brian and I would recommend washing at least once a month (then hang or flat dry) if you want the maximum durability. Wearing jeans for prolonged periods of time without washing actually decrease their lifetime, for 2 reasons.

1) Bacteria love to eat organic matter (which your jeans are) and
2) Washing allows the denim to shrink back close to its original size, allowing the yarn to regain elasticity and restrengthening the weave. Wearing a pair of jeans for prolonged period without washing stretches the jeans out (as we all know) and weakens the weave.

I like some whiskering in my jeans, but I think that excessive whiskering without corresponding fading (which comes from washing) looks pretty contrived...

Reaction score
3) Acid from sweat weakens cotton.
4) Dirt on clothing abrades fabric.

seoulfully

Reaction score
once a month eh? i suppose doing so (post first wash stuff) would be fine as long as they avoided the dryer. i'll have to take all that under advisement. i've always just washed when dirty or smelly (sometimes more than once a month, sometimes less). of course until very recently i've not owned better denim.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Well what LA Guy is true if you want maximum durability. I think many people (myself included) rank getting good wear over getting maximum durability. Regular Ralfs, APCs, 5EPs, and the bunch last tremendous amounts of time to go before they start really ripping or getting too beat up, so you can wear them for a long time without expecting them to fudge.. It's not the same as the girls who wear their Sevens every day and rip the knees out, which already have weakened fabric from processing, and are 9oz denim.

I think once a month is a great routine if youre wearing them every day - they'll look lived in but they wont be too dirty. I washed my Regular Ralfs once a month , and they looked great. However, my other jeans I'm washing less often to keep the dark areas really dark.

tweedlesinpink

Reaction score
I'm going to follow up with a question of my own: what about dry cleaning? I'm in the tropics where **** happens very quickly, and my APCs are smelling after 3 weeks of moderate to high wear. Planning to take them to the nearby dry cleaners, but before i do that, does anyone have suggestions? Any instructions i should give the cleaners, should i turn my pants inside out, tell them that the jeans will bleed if they touch water SO DON'T EVEN THINK OF IT...stuff like that.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tweedlesinpink
I'm going to follow up with a question of my own: what about dry cleaning? I'm in the tropics where **** happens very quickly, and my APCs are smelling after 3 weeks of moderate to high wear. Planning to take them to the nearby dry cleaners, but before i do that, does anyone have suggestions? Any instructions i should give the cleaners, should i turn my pants inside out, tell them that the jeans will bleed if they touch water SO DON'T EVEN THINK OF IT...stuff like that.

You'll probably want to tell them not to press them--sometimes they'll do it of their own accord, and then you have to reset the creases. Not the worst thing ever, but definitely annoying, especially after just three weeks of wear, when the creases are really starting to get set & defined.

aaronmetcalf

Reaction score
the only time i've washed my last pair of jeans was when a girl "friend" of mine spilled bongwater on them and there is no getting that smell out! the worst! otherwise i'll usually wash them after the first year

Ott

Reaction score
hah, this is the best thread necomancy I've seen in a while.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads