• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Washer and dryer

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't use liquid detergents or softeners for your nice clothing. It destoryes the fibers and makes clothing fragile.
Powder detergent all the way.

Also I would get machines that heat their own water if you are paying for heat or using water tank system for your hot water.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From the research I've done, there seems to be many complaints regarding front loaders, including the fact it doesn't remove stains or clothes don't smell like they are clean. Understandable since very little water is used. There are also many complaints that the mold grows if the door and inside of the washer is not wiped dry after each session. Plus you need special "HE" soap.

I opted for Whilrpool Cabrio top loading washer that actually soaks clothes with water (not the HE kind - HE is code for uses very little water). Has held up for the past few months so far, and several hundred of dollars chepaer than front loading variety.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have owned a Miele since 2002.

The Miele gets my clothing cleaner than my old Kenmore top loader. This is in spite of the fact that with the Miele, I have switched to detergents that don't contain bleaches or brighteners.
The Miele has an internal heating element, which allows you to use very high water temperatures for whites and clothing that you need sanitized (such as the toddler's pants when his diaper didn't quite do the job.)
The Miele uses very little water when compared with top loaders. This is important to me because we live in a house with a septic system/leach field, so reducing waste water is desirable. Running the Miele also doesn't drain your hot water heater, so you can shower without fear of running out of hot water.
The Miele safely cleans "hand wash only" items such as silk and wool. I've even cleaned some "dry clean only" sweaters with good results. I can clean delicate pieces of clothing and things like sleeping bags in the Miele that I could never wash in a top loader with an agitator.

The high speed spin cycle gets the clothes quite dry, and reduces dryer times significantly.

The 1926 model is is smaller than the offerings from some American brands. The front loading Kenmore He3T in particular has significantly greater capacity than the Miele. The Miele 1926 will wash a queen-size comforter, but it won't fit our over-stuffed king-size comforter. The Miele is perfectly adequate for large size laundry loads, however, and easily accommodates our family's laundry needs. (We have a family of six; two adults, three grade school kids, and a toddler, so we go through a lot of laundry.) That said, the Miele is not ideally suited for people who do laundry in huge batches only once a week or so. The long cycle times and capacity of the Miele are better suited to folks who put in a load of laundry every couple of days, rather than trying to get all of the week's laundry done on Saturday morning.

The Miele has lots of nice features, such as a delayed start, full control over spin speeds, water temps, and cleaning actions. The controls are well thought out and easy. The only inconvenient thing about the Miele was that it wouldn't plug into the standard wall plug that was in our laundry room. Luckily, we had an electrical box close by, and it took an electrician only about 40 minutes to install a new 220 volt outlet for the Miele. Most homes only have one 220 volt outlet (for the dryer.) I think that if you have a Miele dryer, you only need one 220volt outlet because the dryer plugs into the washer, but I am not really sure on this point.
So far, we don't have any real complaints, and are quite happy with the Miele.

ccc123

Reaction score
Bosch - never look back - everything is slowly as needed being converted in my house

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We got the Maytag Neptune front-loading pair about two years ago -- I know people have had problems with the washer, but we haven't. Our main reason for getting the Maytags instead of some other front-loaders was that they had the controls on a panel at the back like conventional toploaders -- when you have toddlers, keeping their hands off appliance controls is an issue.
laugh.gif

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Front loading machines are far superior in their cleaning abilities than any top loader that I have used. The washing cycles in front-loaders are 4-5 times longer than top loaders and actual movement cleans clothes as oppose to just twist them inside the drum.
Top-loaders=Fail.

TintinATL

Reaction score
+1 on Miele. SImply the best washer and dryer I have ever owned. For all the reasons stated above. Also have the dishwasher which is the quietest on the market. You literally cannot hear it unless you put your ear to the door.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Miele appliances=sexy. These applianec threads are killing me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads