• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Was Thinking Of Getting Some Kind Of Cologne

kenio

Reaction score
First of all, not sure if I spelled that right, hoping I did though, but can anyone confirm for me?

Also, I feel terrible because I posted this in another thread, but it seems more appropriate here, how do I delete it off there?

ANYWAYS:
I've never really used them in the past, but figured it's something I could start. I've only had a few and I use them up fairly slowly (since I don't just drench myself in them like most guys do, example are my brothers, and it pisses me off and makes the place smell). Anyways, what do you guys think about this one:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Paco-Rabanne...t=fragrance&hash=item3f16abae1c#ht_954wt_1396

I've been told good things and it's pretty affordable.

Also, what's the rule with cologne? Do I only use it on special occasions, or is any time good?

I posted this on another forum, and got a few suggestions, but after doing some google searches, it seems like the one my friend IRL suggested trumps theirs, still I'll post what they said so that you guys can compare.

L'Homme
Curve
Big Pony
Sex Panther

Can you guys help me out here, there's too much to choose from and I know almost nothing to begin with.

IsteRed

Reaction score
I'm using Dior homme sport but recently i've found Acqua di parma bergamotto di calabria and it's really terrific, it's very fresh and has citrus smell what i really like, and i've received many compliments for it, i just spray 2-3 times in the morning in the neck area and go to work.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You should bring your questions to Basenotes. You'll get more informed opinions over there.

That said, you can try Creed's Green Irish Tweed. It's a safe bet, although a bit generic and not terribly original. I also recommend Timbuktu, which is what I use. As stated here, it was given a five star rating by Luca Turin, one of the world's leading authorities on fragrances.

Should you be interested, I'm also selling two scents by E. Marinella. You can read their description on the sales page.

Last edited:

Redbird13

Reaction score
Ah, yes. The fragrance world is somewhat overwhelming at first, eh? Anyway, lemme hit the high points:

1.) I'm in the camp that believes cologne should be used regularly. What's the point of shelling out on a bottle if you aren't going to use it?
2.) 1 Million is supposed to be good. Smells kind of like bubblegum, in a good way. It's also supposed to last a while before the smell fades, which is nice.
3.) If you're buying on Ebay, make sure the seller has good feedback. Fragrance fakes are fairly common, especially for popular scents like 1 Million.
4.) L'Homme is another good choice. It isn't very strong, and doesn't last particularly long, but it's safe (pretty much everyone likes it) and versatile (works just as well with a suit as a night on the town). I don't like Curve, but it's inexpensive and nets a lot of compliments. I don't really like Big Pony, and wouldn't recommend them (after all, if a company releases 4 scents at once, do you think very much work went into them? Longevity is bad and you can get much better juice for the pricepoint). Can't speak for Sex Panther, but I'd imagine it would be a nice conversation starter, if nothing else.

If you're serious about this, the addicts at Basenotes are a good resource. They have reviews and an active forum dedicated to cologne.
http://www.basenotes.net/content/

(Also, your spelling is fine.)

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
creed

/thread

calcoast

Reaction score
Always check places like Target or Walmart. I bought a bottle of Lacoste Essential at Target on clearance for $15, the same bottle was at Macys for $65...

chet31

Reaction score
Don't buy anything until you've sampled at least 50 colognes. If you buy a cologne without sampling it, it's called a "blind buy," and 90% of the time a blind buy results in wasted money. What's the rush, you wear nothing now, right? You can get samples at a reasonable price at:

http://theperfumedcourt.com/

Buy samples from several different categories, find a category or two you like, then find something you like within the category. Then you are in a position to make a good purchase. To give you an idea, I have sampled about 300 colognes (I keep a spreadsheet), and I own 5. I wear two regularly, two are a change of pace, and one was a blind buy that I can't stand. There are a few more I am thinking of picking up, but half the time, I forget to wear what I have.

If you think 300 is a lot, well, on basenotes, I'm a rank amateur.

If you don't want to buy samples, hit the department stores. I like places where you can try stuff unsupervised without an unknowledgeable sales rep hounding me. Good luck, and have fun with it.

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I really like it, but some of my lady friends have been less than complimentary. I guess it's one of those love/hate scents.

My wife loves it, she was the one that old me to buy it!! Never heard anyone hate it until now, but each to their own!

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't buy anything until you've sampled at least 50 colognes. If you buy a cologne without sampling it, it's called a "blind buy," and 90% of the time a blind buy results in wasted money. What's the rush, you wear nothing now, right? You can get samples at a reasonable price at:
http://theperfumedcourt.com/
Buy samples from several different categories, find a category or two you like, then find something you like within the category. Then you are in a position to make a good purchase. To give you an idea, I have sampled about 300 colognes (I keep a spreadsheet), and I own 5. I wear two regularly, two are a change of pace, and one was a blind buy that I can't stand. There are a few more I am thinking of picking up, but half the time, I forget to wear what I have.
If you think 300 is a lot, well, on basenotes, I'm a rank amateur.
If you don't want to buy samples, hit the department stores. I like places where you can try stuff unsupervised without an unknowledgeable sales rep hounding me. Good luck, and have fun with it.

Very good advice. I'm another Creed fan, Green Irish Tweed when it's warm, Bois de Portugal, when it's not. And actually the forum for cologne questions is http://www.styleforum.net/f/6/health-body

Tropicalist

Reaction score
About 20 start making a good basic collection and bespoke is best. Amongst commercially available ones try vetiver by guerlain especially if you can get hold of old stock. Probably the best make scent ever produced.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads