• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Was the Diesel Kratt the original premium repro?

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've often longed for one or two of my old pairs of Diesel Kratts, which saddly got too big when I lost weight. When I recall the cut, however, it doesn't seem that far off of what people describe their repros fitting like. More modern for sure, but slightly higher rise, anti-fit seat, and slight taper to the leg. Anyone think that was the inspiration for the jean that, IMO, sort of started the whole premium denim trend?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think Diesels were the first "premium" jean per se that was widely available in the US, but I'm not sure of the timing relative to the Japanese Levis repros. Evisu made some pretty authentic ones awhile back.

sbbbjm

Reaction score
man, i remember when diesels were $109 . . .

Coulomb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sbbbjm
man, i remember when diesels were $109 . . .

yah and that was considered expensive. i think my very first pair of diesels were sparkers

Cali

Reaction score
I wouldn't consider them either premium or repro. SDA is generally considered the first Japanese repro manufacturer, started in 1979.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ You wouldnt consider diesel jeans premium jeans??

Are you kidding me....

There price point is that of premium jeans. There quality is really good too. I dont like their washes too much these days or there over the top branding but they are still consdered premium jeans

Cali

Reaction score
Premium price is not the same as premium quality. The Japanese repros are designed to be be better than the original Levis/Lees in the same style. If you pick up a pair of Sugar Cane or Samurai jeans you will notice the distinct difference from a pair of Diesels. Hardware, quality of cloth, dying technique, stitching. The whole philosophy behind them is entirely different. When was the last time you saw deadstock zippers on Diesels?

Coulomb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cali
Premium price is not the same as premium quality. The Japanese repros are designed to be be better than the original Levis/Lees in the same style. If you pick up a pair of Sugar Cane or Samurai jeans you will notice the distinct difference from a pair of Diesels. Hardware, quality of cloth, dying technique, stitching. The whole philosophy behind them is entirely different. When was the last time you saw deadstock zippers on Diesels?

...but these differences fail to rule out why diesels aren't considered a premium brand.

velobran

Reaction score
Whether people like the overbranded Diesel jeans or not, the quality is there. I still have a pair that is five years old with only the coin pocket strip and a small D in the back and they are still in great shape. I have worn them at least 3 days a week for the last 4 years. And best of all, all distressing was done the right way, standard day to day use.

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
^^^I agree. I have a pair that I've worn pretty hard over the last couple of years and they're still in great shape. Moreover, they fit me great and are very comfortable.

tljenkin

Reaction score
They use open-ended warp and weft threads, their indigo is not 100% pure, no chainstitch, cheap hardware, no hidden rivets, thin belt loops, and cheap washes. The value is terrible. They are a 'lifestyle' brand, plain and simple.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tljenkin
They use open-ended warp and weft threads, their indigo is not 100% pure, no chainstitch, cheap hardware, no hidden rivets, thin belt loops, and cheap washes. The value is terrible. They are a 'lifestyle' brand, plain and simple.

Diesel jeans are generally made from ringspun denim. The hardware is as good as many other "premium" brands, including Studio D'Artisan, which was mentioned here. There is chainstitching in their jeans, just not at the hem, which is really a minor, stylistic point, as are hidden rivets (as a sidenote, someone mentioned that their Lees had no hidden rivets - Lees have historically used bartacking instead of back rivets). The thickness of the beltloops has nothing to do with quality, it is a stylistic choice. Otherwise, by this measure, Nudies are probably the best quality jean of all.

I am not sure what you mean by poor value. Diesel jeans are generally well constructed, and they are quite durable. In fact, I'd say that they are more durable than most of the jeans we talk about here and that are discussed at Superfuture.

I am not a Diesel cutomer myself. However, these contentions that Diesel is just low grade junk are just untrue.

tljenkin

Reaction score
Well then I stand corrected.

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back in the late 90s/early 00s Diesel (and then the consevative wash Energie) were my first big denim purchases, before getting into the Levi strummer and matchstick models. The Diesel fanker was an excellent fitting jean, during those lost boot-cut years, and only got better with age. As a matter of fact, I was contemplating having my tailor taper them down to an 8" hem in order to make them more current, as I never wear them now. Of course, it goes without saying most of their washes were/are horrindous... but that fit in the seat, man the girls loved it. Anyway, rocking my first pair of "real" jeans now... A.P.C. new cures.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads