• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

WAS I TAKEN?

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP.............you're good, enjoy the suit and stop worrying =)

wyleecoyotee

Reaction score
OP.............you're good, enjoy the suit and stop worrying =)
Yeah, I just wanted a way to confirm my suspicions before I ask for my money back. Not sure what these fibers are but they definitely melt.

Glad we figured this out. Now we can discuss the real mystery: Aliens, girl friends, and Liam Neilson

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
google "nylon filament thread" and you will see it looks exactly like that. Very thin and transparent.
Using a flame on a loose thread doesn't confirm the cloth type. You have to cut a piece of the cloth and see what happens

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The only way to test this is to eat it. Natural fibers, such as those derived from plants and animals, break down in the digestive tract. Nylon and other synthetic fibers, however, do not.

Eat the fiber and then wait till you poop it out. Then smoosh through the poop to see if you can find the fiber. If it has come through, it is synthetic. Take photos and show this to your tailor as proof.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Florentine tailor Mario Zuccala can tell you if you were taken:

Marc Voorhees

Reaction score
The only way to test this is to eat it. Natural fibers, such as those derived from plants and animals, break down in the digestive tract. Nylon and other synthetic fibers, however, do not.

Eat the fiber and then wait till you poop it out. Then smoosh through the poop to see if you can find the fiber. If it has come through, it is synthetic. Take photos and show this to your tailor as proof.
If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you.

moltoelegante

Reaction score
There are places which can test the fabric, but the test will cost more than the suit, e.g. https://www.qima.com

Best strategy is to avoid third-world tailors or, if you must use them, bring your own trusted fabric.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You don’t need to “smoosh through the poop.” Simply set it on fire. If it melts, synthetic. If it burns, Etc

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You don’t need to “smoosh through the poop.” Simply set it on fire. If it melts, synthetic. If it burns, Etc
Count ....... thank you.

OP, if you do the burn test, eat one natural fiber, then poop it out. Then eat one synthetic fiber and poop it out. Now eat the mystery fiber and poop it out. Use the other two poops as your controls, and see which poop smoke the mystery poop smoke most closely resembles.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.