• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Was he "Clothes Horse?"

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a great uncle who was born in Rochester but spent most of his life in NYC as a vaudeville performer and then a theatrical agent who was responsible of starting the careers of many famous actors and actresses, such as Danny Kaye. He died in 1989 with very little left but, apparently, for many years the man lived quite lavishly.

Damon Runyon wrote in Short Takes, for example, that Harry Bestry owns or owned "3,000 Charvet neckties, which is more than Charvet has now, 75 suits of clothes by an expensive tailor, 75 pairs of shoes, each pair made to order and nicely treed, and hats and shirts and overcoats and sweaters in similar profusion." He added that a friend of Bestry once reported one could barly get into the man's apartment "because of the amount of wearing apparel stashed away on the premises."

In Paris in 2009 I got to Charvet and purchased one magnificent tie as part of the 50%-off sale covering the second floor. I consider this one tie very, very special and only wear it on limited occasions. I don't know that this uncle ever made it to Paris but I suppose there was at least one store in NY in the '30s-'40s that carried Charvet. This uncle wanted to be well known for his attire and sense of style. He also had a very dignified walk and stature in general. One of our more colorful relatives....

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pics might be helpful.
Yes, he was a clothes horse.
No Burberry?
confused.gif

johnvw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Just when I think I understand what people are talking about on this forum.......

Hey, it's an ongoing learning process . . .
blush.gif

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lafont
Was he "Clothes Horse?"

Don't know; was he adopted by Native Americans and they gave him that name?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You guys should stop poking fun at OP. You may see a funny story, but I took a psychology class in college, so I know what's really going on here. OP is confessing to us that his Uncle sexually abused him. This is is cry for help. Allow me to break it down for you.

I had a great uncle who was born in Rochester

Rochester is well known as the international Mecca of pederastry.

but spent most of his life in NYC as a vaudeville performer
Virtually every kid toucher has worked in the theater. It is a vocation that gives them easy access to children and allows them to dress up and pretend to be someone else. That's key to the predator displacing his guilt, he can just pretend that it was someone else who actually did the act.

and then a theatrical agent who was responsible of starting the careers of many famous actors and actresses, such as Danny Kaye.
Danny Kaye's memoirs detail lots of sexual abuse. Google it.

He died in 1989 with very little left but, apparently, for many years the man lived quite lavishly.
How is it possible to live quite lavishly for many years but then die in poverty? Obviously his uncle had some great expense later in life, like having to defend against accusations of child sexual assault Defending such a case, even if unsuccessful, can easily run into the hundreds of thousands of dollars. If hush money was paid, it could be in the millions.

Damon Runyon wrote in Short Takes,
To have a "short take" is pedophile code for engaging in sexual relations with a child. This is well known in the subgroup.

for example, that Harry Bestry owns or owned "3,000 Charvet neckties, which is more than Charvet has now, 75 suits of clothes by an expensive tailor, 75 pairs of shoes, each pair made to order and nicely treed, and hats and shirts and overcoats and sweaters in similar profusion."
Such attention to detail is clearly the result of a man who has lost his grip on reality. 3,000 neckties are more than a man could reasonably be expected to wear in a lifetime. Rather than purchasing these ties it is likely Mr. Bestry stole these ties from the factory and was attempting to sell them off to pay for OP's Uncles outstanding legal fees.

He added that a friend of Bestry once reported one could barly get into the man's apartment "because of the amount of wearing apparel stashed away on the premises."
This eye witness doesn't report on the nature of the "wearing apparel" but I would hazard a guess that it was the clothes of his victims, which were taken off then stored as trophies representative of his "conquests".

In Paris in 2009 I got to Charvet and purchased one magnificent tie as part of the 50%-off sale covering the second floor. I consider this one tie very, very special and only wear it on limited occasions. I don't know that this uncle ever made it to Paris but I suppose there was at least one store in NY in the '30s-'40s that carried Charvet. This uncle wanted to be well known for his attire and sense of style. He also had a very dignified walk and stature in general. One of our more colorful relatives....
OP is clearly covering for his Uncle, trying to distance himself from the horrible accusations made against him, while simultaneously trying to forget the horrible things done to him as a small child. OP needs serious mental health assistance if he wants to overcome these issues. I wish him well, and if I can be of any help please let me know.

Best of luck.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nay (and hay) - that was "A Man Called Horse." Now, back to topic, please....I just wanted to hear people's reactions to what I wrote about this rather eccentric great uncle. Perhaps someone even had heard of him, yet?
Any idea who might have sold Charvet in NY in the '30s-40s?

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nay (and hay) - that was "A Man Called Horse." Now, back to topic, please....I just wanted to hear people's reactions to what I wrote about this rather eccentric great uncle. Perhaps someone even had heard of him, yet?

If Harry Bestry isn't your uncle, then you didn't say an awful lot about your uncle in the first place. Your original post is the very definition of useless incoherence.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"How is it possible to live quite lavishly for many years but then die in poverty?"

Because he left very little, you think he died in poverty?
eh.gif
I think he had good timing. He had no wife or kids to leave anything, so why leave anything?

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
I love a good suit of clothes.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
Don't know; was he adopted by Native Americans and they gave him that name?

So dry, so wonderful.

I will steal this joke and use it later.

- B

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PM rnoldh for this info
smile.gif

ZON_JR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
You guys should stop poking fun at OP. You may see a funny story, but I took a psychology class in college, so I know what's really going on here. OP is confessing to us that his Uncle sexually abused him. This is is cry for help. Allow me to break it down for you if you want to waste another 10 minutes.

This was a funny idea but maybe went on for way too long.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads