• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Warranty expectations

papa kot

Reaction score
So what is the general expectations for warranty on items purchased from stores or brands one would consider to be at least slightly above average?

I know that some manufacturers offer lifetime warranty on their products and while I did not expect a lifetime warranty on a recent purchase at Brooks Brothers, I was quite surprised that I had to shell out $20 to repair 1" of a seam on a $400 sweater. (And that is from a store I visit frequently where sales people know me by name.)

My initial thought -- WTF? Am I over-reacting?

Last edited:

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How long after buying it did you bring it back to be mended?

Cheers,

Ac

papa kot

Reaction score
This happened twice to the same sweater. Once within 1 week. The second time within a year. Given the fact that I've done a lot of business with that particular store and with the company in general, I was sort of taken by surprise.

For comparison, I've asked the owner of another locally owned shop about the same type of repairs. His answer - just bring it in and we'll take care of you.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Within a week I'd expect an exchange, not a repair.

After a year I doubt I'd expect anything.

Cheers,

Ac

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Within a week I'd expect an exchange, not a repair.

After a year I doubt I'd expect anything.

Cheers,

Ac

+1

If the need for repair during the first week was your fault, I would not "expect" it to be free.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So what is the general expectations for warranty on items purchased from stores or brands one would consider to be at least slightly above average? 

I know that some manufacturers offer lifetime warranty on their products and while I did not expect a lifetime warranty on a recent purchase at Brooks Brothers, I was quite surprised that I had to shell out $20 to repair 1" of a seam on a $400 sweater. (And that is from a store I visit frequently where sales people know me by name.)

My initial thought -- WTF?  Am I over-reacting?

If it is a factory defect or something, unworn (or maybe worn for the first time then something comes undone), I assume most reputable stores would be open to exchanging the item within the outlined return/exchange policy. Anything after that is up in the air and can vary. I do not assume most clothing have "warranties" unless they are outlined (e.g., my technical/sports equipment/clothing). I do not expect Brooks Brothers, Paul Stuart, Barney's, etc. to repair a damage after the aforementioned policy's time frame has expired. I also do not expect any complimentary repair if I wore something numerous times and then something happens (even if it was within the return/exchange time frame). Any gesture would be an example of superb customer service to me than expected maintenance.

There is a difference between distributors and manufacturers and Brooks Brothers stores fall in the former category. Maybe shops can start charging for extended warranties like in Best Buy. :)

Sorry to hear about the sweater. Maybe try Paul Stuart's down the block if you're in NYC.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This happened twice to the same sweater.  Once within 1 week.  The second time within a year. Given the fact that I've done a lot of business with that particular store and with the company in general, I was sort of taken by surprise. 

For comparison, I've asked the owner of another locally owned shop about the same type of repairs.  His answer - just bring it in and we'll take care of you. 

Really? Within a year you were surprised?

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe I'm a little out of step, but I've never even considered the concept of a "warranty" on clothes.

Sure, if I found something wrong with an item like a manufacturing defect once I got home and took a closer look at it, I'd expect an exchange if the tags remained attached or it was otherwise obviously unworn (in the case of shoes or similar). And if the shop had a return policy on NWT items within a certain time, then of course I'd expect them to honour that. But beyond that, and certainly after first wear, I wouldn't expect anything more from them, regardless of how regular a customer I was.

Now, if we're talking about a fit tweak on a bespoke item or something of that ilk, within a reasonable number of wears from initially accepting the item, then I'd consider that part of the deal. But I think it's fair to say that's something conceptually different to what's being talked about in this thread.

I would also say that while it's probably true that smaller shops are more likely to go above & beyond in terms of making unhappy customers happy again, I do think that's largely because they would find it harder to take the hit from local bad word of mouth, rather than because they're doing what they consider fair & reasonable. In a way, I find it a bit exploitative to expect them to go that extra mile.

Obviously, if any retailer - large or small - did implement a specific "warranty" or similar, then I'd certainly expect them to honour it. I think that it would be brave to the point of foolish for them to do so, especially in light of many people's expectations these days.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads