• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Warning for Ebay and Paypal policy on authenticity scams

letmefly

Reaction score
This is somewhat of a long story but here it goes. I bought a Hermes belt (with what turned out to be fake documentation) from a UK seller a while back and upon receiving it immediately recognized it as a fake. Since I consider this hassle with fakes on ebay a plague I decided to make a stand and instead of sending the item back to the seller for a cashback ("hey I tried to scam you and failed so how about you spend time and money on sending the item back and lets call it even") I opened a claim with Paypal and followed their procedure regarding fakes.

Unfortunately this meant the trouble of going to the Hermes store and having the item shipped to Paris but what the hell - right should be right. It also takes at least three months which I checked with Paypal and they said this was fine. They will shut the case down meanwhile but once I get the proper documentation I use that to appeal and get my money back. I was quite surprised by the fact that the case during this time will look like it was decided to the scammers advantage and that he might withdraw the money meanwhile. "No worries" said Paypal, "even if he would withdraw the money you will get it from us (because of our buyer protection policy) and then it will be our (paypals) problem of getting the money from the scammer". Fine.

After some months passes I get the (very nice actually) certificate from Hermes Paris stating that the belt indeed is fake and talk yet again with Paypal. They tell me how to upload the document so that the can open the appeal which is done during the call and the appeal is finally open. The promised 72 hours passes but still no reply. I give a call to Paypal and the make an additional note regarding the document in question to make certain things get done in the correct manner. A few more days passes and when I log into Paypal I notice that they have decided the case against me as the document was not produced within their original time frame. Amazing.

I guess we've all known that Ebay and Paypal don't really care about fakes being sold but I guess now it is offical. Even if you go to a store and follow their procedure to produce the information Paypal requires they will still side with the seller of the fake item.

letmefly

Reaction score
Had the final chat with PayPal / Ebay on this matter now. It seems that the reason I lost the case is that I did not produce the proof from Hermes that the belt was a fake within TEN (10) days of opening the case. Rather odd since I've had several phone calls with them discussing the case since then and they've been asking me to get back as soon as I have the proof and appeal...

I was "lucky" enough to live next to an Hermes store but even so it would not be possible to produce the proof within the 10 day limit as the stores themselves are not authorized to state authenticity thus it has to be sent to Paris (taking at least 2-3 months). This means that the buyer protection on Ebay/PayPal does not apply for Hermes products. I guess noone needs to be told not to buy this stuff from ebay in the first place but now you have twice the reason.

The irony of the whole thing is that ebay claims to be hard on fakes while their own policies actually promotes it. How many live close enough to stores so that they can get proof on official paper within 10 days of opening the claim?

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a sick story.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Doesn't surprise me at all. PayPal reps are some of the worse I have ever had to deal with.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For everyone's knowledge, who is this seller so we can avoid them? I'm sorry to hear about your trouble.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Should have gotten them to promise in writing.

Link to the eBay seller?

letmefly

Reaction score
Considering he doesn't seem to sell them anymore and more than 99 percent (yes) of the hermes belts on ebay are fake I don't really see the point of outing his name. Then again, why not:
thomasross04

Since I wasted so much time already I'm considering my options to proceed currently. There's no point of pushing it in the US however the European Union might have an issue with it as lot of the companies that are being ripped off are based here. They should have an issue with this policy from ebay/paypal.

Regarding getting the policy in writing: I (way earlier) actually asked for the transcripts / notes from the case but not surprisingly they don't give them out.

Last edited:

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry it didn't work out for you. That being said, thanks for sharing the story.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is somewhat of a long story but here it goes. I bought a Hermes belt (with what turned out to be fake documentation) from a UK seller a while back and upon receiving it immediately recognized it as a fake. Since I consider this hassle with fakes on ebay a plague I decided to make a stand and instead of sending the item back to the seller for a cashback ("hey I tried to scam you and failed so how about you spend time and money on sending the item back and lets call it even") I opened a claim with Paypal and followed their procedure regarding fakes.

Unfortunately this meant the trouble of going to the Hermes store and having the item shipped to Paris but what the hell - right should be right. It also takes at least three months which I checked with Paypal and they said this was fine. They will shut the case down meanwhile but once I get the proper documentation I use that to appeal and get my money back. I was quite surprised by the fact that the case during this time will look like it was decided to the scammers advantage and that he might withdraw the money meanwhile. "No worries" said Paypal, "even if he would withdraw the money you will get it from us (because of our buyer protection policy) and then it will be our (paypals) problem of getting the money from the scammer". Fine.

After some months passes I get the (very nice actually) certificate from Hermes Paris stating that the belt indeed is fake and talk yet again with Paypal. They tell me how to upload the document so that the can open the appeal which is done during the call and the appeal is finally open. The promised 72 hours passes but still no reply. I give a call to Paypal and the make an additional note regarding the document in question to make certain things get done in the correct manner. A few more days passes and when I log into Paypal I notice that they have decided the case against me as the document was not produced within their original time frame. Amazing.

I guess we've all known that Ebay and Paypal don't really care about fakes being sold but I guess now it is offical. Even if you go to a store and follow their procedure to produce the information Paypal requires they will still side with the seller of the fake item.

I would'v been happy with seller's offer getting the money back + original shipping. Why not take the easy way ... why try to take the hard way ??
And why you were buying Hermes belt at the first place ?!!!
You have learnt a very important lesson my friend .... in a hard way .

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sounds like a quality seller.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the moral of this story? Don't buy Hermes from Ebay, in future buy from a Hermes store?

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure why you'd buy something like Hermes on ebay to begin with... do you like to play with fire?

Dranakin

Reaction score
They don't care, as long as they get their fee revenue.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads