• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Warning! Do not use the USPS

Dan G

Reaction score
Wanted to share my experience with the US Post Office with the forum:

I purchased a sport jacket from a forum member on February 11th. The jacket was shipped 3 days later via priority mail with insurance and a signature required. I had expected to receive the jacket in 3 days, but it did not arrive. More than a week later, the tracking info showed that it was still sitting in the neighboring county. The seller and I waited a bit longer, but it turned out the package was lost.

After waiting the requisite 30 days, the seller filed a claim for $210. This was in the middle of March. I called the USPS and was told the claim would take at least 4 weeks to process.

I called back 4 weeks later (Mid April). I was told there was no record of the claim. We filed it again and waited 4 weeks. I called again and was told there was no record (Mid May). Next, I spoke to the seller and spoke to a USPS employee in his town that "rushed" a third copy of the claim.

I called the USPS last week and was told the check had been sent to me. Turns out they sent it to an incomplete address and it was returned to sender. It has now been five months and I am yet to receive the funds. It seems that the USPS will lose as many claims as you send in. I really believe this is their strategy and that they hope you eventually give up.

Please use UPS or Fedex if you actually want the shipper to be accountable.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you don't have receipts for the claims?

Dan G

Reaction score
Not sure what you mean... The claim is given to the post office by the seller and then sent to a processing center where they enter the info. No way to tell where it disappears.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've never had a problem, and I've had two claims. Came through just fine.

Dan G

Reaction score
You've obviously had better luck than I have. Bottom line for me is that I need to deal with a shipper that actually has a reason to resolve your problems. Dealing with a public company is 10x quicker and easier than dealing with a pseudo government agency.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dan G
You've obviously had better luck than I have. Bottom line for me is that I need to deal with a shipper that actually has a reason to resolve your problems. Dealing with a public company is 10x quicker and easier than dealing with a pseudo government agency.

You think it's USPS versus FedEx or UPS? Please. They all have their problems. I'm sure there are a hundred people on this forum who can tell stories that are equally bad, if not worse than yours, about both FedEx and UPS. All companies **** up, it's a fact of life.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear. Seems like the seller is partly at fault, as he failed to inform you when he received the returned package.

That being said, sh*t happens. When you start actually shipping things out, you'll understand why USPS gets the most business.

danyllau

Reaction score
As a buyer, I ll always prefer USPS for cross border. Broker fee for Customs are complete bullshit.

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have had countless items shipped to me across the Atlantic, with USPS handling the stateside half of the deal, and I've never had any trouble. 4-5 days from the west coast to England can't be sniffed at.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my entire life of using USPS, they have only lost one pkg. Considering ebay, this has to be nearing 1000 parcels or more by now.

They gave me money for the claim, too. I don't remember if it took particularly long.

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always use USPS and I ship everyday internationally. Crossing my fingers but no problems yet.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Sorry to hear. Seems like the seller is partly at fault, as he failed to inform you when he received the returned package.

Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see where the OP said the seller received a return package.

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For shipping in the US, use FedEx. They have the most advanced data tracking system. If the US congress would allow FedEx to ship to your mail box, the USPS would finally go out of business.

UPS had the market cornered on package shipping for years. Then along came FedEx and blew them away. They've been in catch up mode ever since.

HOWEVER, when it comes to shipping to other countries, I don't have any advice. Plenty of shipments are lost in customs when shipped via FedEx. Not sure who is paying who off, but the numbers of FedEx packages that are lost is too high for it to be coincidence.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Think Fed Ex will deliver my letters for less than $0.50?

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see where the OP said the seller received a return package.

Originally Posted by Dan G
I called the USPS last week and was told the check had been sent to me. Turns out they sent it to an incomplete address and it was returned to sender. It has now been five months and I am yet to receive the funds.

A second reading raises the question: why would USPS reimburse the OP his money if the package is actually not lost, and instead currently in the seller's hand?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads