• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Warmups, Cool Downs and Stretching thread...

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you guys warmup? Do cool downs after a workout? Stretch? What do you do?

I'm thinking I'm not warming up enough (I didn't use to at all, I must be getting old) and my stretching routine hasn't changed since college. I could use some new ideas here.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dynamic warmups with low weights before workout, some static stretching after workout.

Chris2289

Reaction score
With weights I do Pyramids so i find that acts as a warm up.

I ensure that all key muscles are stretched before and after a warm up and exercise, especially when playing a competitive sport. In terms of a warm down I am usually to spent after a work out to do any extended warm downs.

turbozed

Reaction score
If I'm squatting say 195 lbs, I will warm up to my work sets like this: 45 x 5 (just the bar) 85 x 5 115 x 3 145 x 2 then do 3 work sets of 195 x 5 I do this for all my big lifts (deads, bench, squats, overhead press, cleans) I'm assuming you're doing a lot of upper body exercises so here's a good quick shoulder warmup I always do:
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i just do a first set of every intended exercise at 25% of my 1rm.

do 30 mins steady state cardio, 3.5 speed, 8.5 incline after lifting.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My main issue seems to be my shoulders. My traditional warmup has consisted of 3 sets of low weight building up more each set but not exceeding 50% of my first real set, then a set of 3-4 reps at 80% of my first set weight. My first set weight is usually my highest weight, like 85% of my 1-rep max (depending on what I'm doing) and then I scale down on the subsequent reps if I need to.

This has worked fine for me but these days it's just painful on my shoulders when I'm doing upper body movements.

A. My shoulder development is lagging somehow (injury maybe).

B. I need more warming up, like 5 mins on an elliptical with some arm movement.

C. Something else...

What do you think?

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do a lot of pass throughs with a dowel and a few sets of overhead squats with the bar as part of my warmup, and it seems to help my shoulders.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads