• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Warmest winter jacket for under $400?

desidude

Reaction score
Hi,

I just moved to Boston, after living in PA and MI, during which time I acquired a good Cashmere (real Scottish Cashmere) overcoat and a Eddie Bauer down jacket.

I find the Eddie Bauer jacket a bit to puffed up, and would like a nice jacket/parka (without the fur on the hood) that will keep me warm. I do layer, both when wearing work clothes and casual clothes.

Some of the options that come to mind are:

http://www.thenorthface.com/opencms/...0S&language=en

http://www.thenorthface.com/opencms/...8E&language=en

http://www.landsend.com/pp/Arctic3in...4&origin=index

I am open to other brands, and would like to spendn $300-$400, less is ok if the quality is good.

I feel cold, so want the warmest jacket, without it being too bulky.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Desidude

desidude

Reaction score
Hi,

I did go to Filene's basement and Marshall's near Copley Sq. in Boston and both had mostly overcoats & peacoats. I am looking for something more like a 'ski' type jacket, although I only plan to use it for city use.

Thanks,
desidude

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Canada Goose offers a few models that may meet your criteria; The Constable, the 3 in 1 Nomad, the Ontario and the Limited Edition G-Tech. Top notch construction and materials at a very competitive price-point. BTW, all their fur collars are removable.

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the landsend jacket, it's by far the warmest jacket I've ever had, and I've got like 5% body fat, so I definitely need the insulation (not buffed, just skinny).

The only other one I'd consider would be the Canada Goose, but I can't afford it. My Lands' End coat cost me something like $130, I think. You can even get it personally monogrammed, too. Great company. Those are really the only two truly warm ones out there. The others are pretenders.

desidude

Reaction score
Hi,

I ordered the land's end 3 in 1 artic parka, now let's see how they are, they should arrive today!

I will keep you posted,

Thanks,
desidude

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by desidude
Hi,

I ordered the land's end 3 in 1 artic parka, now let's see how they are, they should arrive today!

I will keep you posted,

Thanks,
desidude

I was looking at that one myself, but was concerned that it might be too warm on a day to day basis. Definately let us know how it is.

atroopan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bob
arc teryx

+1 million - definitely my favorite jacket if not dressing up too formally !

Arcteryx Gamme SV in grizzly brown !

troop

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by atroopan
+1 million - definitely my favorite jacket if not dressing up too formally ! Arcteryx Gamme SV in grizzly brown ! troop
Most arcteryx jackets I've seen are not under 400. Maybe the fleece lining but definitely not the set. Good stuff but a bit overpriced.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you happen to come from a tropical country?

Following LA Guy's suggestions, I grabbed a Gloverall Duffle Coat from SierraTradingPost.com for $100 or $160, I forget.

But then I also got a Moose Creek Parka from them for $20 and it was even warmer.

ville_e

Reaction score
May I recommend the Canada Goose Constable jacket. It is extremely warm during winter and is within your price range. I own one and it has kept me warm in the harsh Finnish winters. Hope I was of some assistance!
smile.gif

atroopan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
Most arcteryx jackets I've seen are not under 400. Maybe the fleece lining but definitely not the set. Good stuff but a bit overpriced.

http://www.travelcountry.com/shop/ar...cket-mens.html

I dunno that particular jacket you can get on sale for under US$200 easily. It is more than adequate for winter wear assuming you layer correctly underneath. Granted - the hardshells will run you quite a bit more moolah (I have the Theta AR), but I really use it as a rainy season jacket more so than a cover for the softshell in really really cold temps.

I tried North Face, Patagonia, Marmot, Columbia, and a couple other lesser known softshells and hardshells, but the quality and fit of the arcteryx just makes the other gear manufacturers look Mickey Mouse IMHO.

Can't comment on the Canada Goose stuff, but some of those parkas look like they may make you awful hot once you start moving and exerting outside. I tend to run hot though, but the OP may not so... .

troop

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by desidude
Hi,

I will keep you posted,

Thanks,
desidude

anything to report back on this?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads