1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Warmest Dress Gloves

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by pred02, Feb 3, 2010.

1. pred02

pred02 Senior member

Hi,
    I am looking for a pair of non-sport warm dress gloves. I have some leather gloves but they are not warm at all at sub-zero temperatures. What is the warmest material for warm gloves I can find out there?

Thanks!

2. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

I have a pair of BB 2 in 1 gloves, leather exterior with a wool lining. I find them the warmest dress gloves I've sampled.

3. Cravate_Noire

Cravate_Noire Senior member

If the gloves are made of high end altsämisch/Chamois leather, a lining is unncessary to prevent freezing hands.
    In most cases the lining's used to hide lesser leather qualities.

4. comrade

comrade Senior member

Rabbit fur- lined from the late Marshall Fields in
    Chicago. Wool-lined from the same source, a close second.
    For the ultimate in warmth, but not dressy, Dachstein
    mittens. Used them XC (Nordic) skiing in minus zero
    weather.

5. furo

furo Senior member

Goose down gloves or mittens, followed by shearling lined gloves

6. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

My peccary gloves lined with alpaca are quite warm but no dress gloves will do the trick below zero Fahrenheit.

7. onix

onix Senior member

I use a warm wool lining. With the cashmere and leather layers of the dress gloves, I have 3 layers. Warm enough for single digit (F). Not sure about subzero though.

8. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

My warmest Dress gloves are leather lined with Thinsulateâ„¢. My fur lined leather dress gloves can cause my hands to sweat, thereby hastening the freezing process.

9. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

My warmest dress gloves are cashmere lined and were purchased at BR several years ago.

10. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

Comrade is right: rabbit fur is the warmest glove lining, with cashmere being a close second.

11. furo

furo Senior member

Comrade is right: rabbit fur is the warmest glove lining, with cashmere being a close second.

I'd still say goose down will be warmer than the rabbit fur. Just think about what temperatures the goose has to endure while flying at those heights in Canada!

Now there are arctic rabbits out there, but I doubt you'll find something like that being sold.

12. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

I'd still say goose down will be warmer than the rabbit fur. Just think about what temperatures the goose has to endure while flying at those heights in Canada!

Now there are arctic rabbits out there, but I doubt you'll find something like that being sold.

I don't see why we don't eat arctic hare and turn their fur into glove linings considering how badly they infest northern Canadian cities. However, I'm not sure its fur is necessarily warmer than a rabbit's, though it certainly has more of it and it changes colour with the seasons.

In any case, goose down is disqualified because it cannot be made into a lining, ergo not into a dress glove either.