Warm weather-friendly jeans

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by markr, Jun 18, 2006.

1. markr

markr Senior member

I'm going to be spending this summer in Virginia, where it can get mighty hot and humid. As far as casual pants, I prefer jeans (typically Levis and <$100). I try to avoid khakis and chinos at all costs. Unfortunately, traditional denim jeans can get pretty uncomfortable when it's 90 degrees and 100% humidity. Wondering if anyone can point me to some lightweight jeans (or other khakis/chinos alternative) that might be more warm weather-friendly.

2. DNW

DNW Senior member

3. Babar

Babar Senior member

There's some Helmut Lang linen blends at yoox, but I have no experience with them myself. Once the price goes down further I'll probably pull the trigger on a pair

4. markr

markr Senior member

Thanks for the linen blend suggestion. I also seem to remember a few years ago seeing what seemed like lightweight denim jeans. I could be making this up, or possibly they were linen blend and I didn't realize it. Does anyone know if there's such a thing as lightweight denim jeans?

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Thanks for the linen blend suggestion. I also seem to remember a few years ago seeing what seemed like lightweight denim jeans. I could be making this up, or possibly they were linen blend and I didn't realize it. Does anyone know if there's such a thing as lightweight denim jeans?

Sure, you can get denim down to about 8 ounces. J.P. D'amage Rode Hards were this weight, of the more commonly available brands. Most of these are 2x1 denims, (although I think that the D'amages used a 3x1 RHT) and they are bordering on chambray. I think that 10 ounces is more common. The lighter weight Rag & Bones, pretty much any pair of Paper Denims or Earnest Sewns, are abut this weight. 14+ ounce denim is actually pretty rare except in repros, niche brands, and really cowboy jeans, yeehah.

6. xcoldricex

xcoldricex Senior member

8oz denim! i'd like to see that.
    rogans are also pretty lightweight from what i remember.

7. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Rogans are pretty close, probably closer to 9-10 ounces, iirc. Actually, the Rode hards were 8.5 ounces, I think. Pretty close to chambray!

8. markr

markr Senior member

Hey thanks guys. That's what I was looking for. I'll keep my eyes open for some PDC's on eBay.

9. VMan

VMan Senior member

I have a pair of Paper Denims in the 3-year wash (ICN cut) that are very lightweight and comfortable in 80+ degree heat.

10. cheapmutha

cheapmutha Senior member

sugarcane makes slub oxford pants. not sure of the price, but im sure xcoldricex could find out for you. they look effin amazing.

11. benchan

benchan Senior member

Uniqlo has some SUMMER LIGHT jeans out.

In my view, the colour of linen mix jeans look kind of shitty after a few washes.

12. ringring

ringring Senior member

8oz denim! i'd like to see that.
    rogans are also pretty lightweight from what i remember.

Rogan has some cotton/linen and cotton/hemp jeans from his 'A Litl Bettr' collection that are very lightweight (9oz maybe?, I don't recall too well).

Light on fabric but very heavy on the wallet ($450-$690). Made in Japan, shuttle loomed, very limited edition. Not sure where, outside of the Franklin Street store in NYC, you will find them.

13. cheapmutha

cheapmutha Senior member

you can always do what i do here in florida. sweat. sweat helps with setting creases and fading. i just dont like pants other than jeans.