• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Warm overcoats

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These babys from Walker Slater would do the job.Full length, heavy Melton fabric ,great style and amazing finishing..Plus very affordable..Btw..I have the Burgundy one and everytime I wear it I get nothing but compliments.

I'm looking at this burgundy Walker Slater coat also. How did you size this?

TomTom

Reaction score
I'm looking at this burgundy Walker Slater coat also. How did you size this?
Hello,

I normally wear a 42L in everything and I went a size down. Managed to try it on in the ir Covent Garden shop. It's very roomy and you can make it tighter with a functional belt on the back. I wore it a couple of times with a suit and it is very comfy to wear plus it looks amazing. Sleeves are long enough and I'm 6 foot 3 , long hands. Great hands and the melton fabric is wind proof and it will keep you warm.

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live in -30c weather easily (with windchill), and I get by with layering as per @dieworkwear suggested. My overcoat however, is double breasted, and very heavy with 100% wool and not a blend.

Things to consider. :)

cl smooth

Reaction score
Any recos for a bal collar coat for the nyc winters? Preferably black.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any recos for a bal collar coat for the nyc winters? Preferably black.

Here's a start. Dark gray Bay w/ Raglan sleeves. Probably too light.
They have others w/o Raglan sleeves but with Bal collars. Regular
weight Loden is very warm and vitually waterproof. I own the coat
you are looking for from Burberry, long discontinued.

Last edited:

Chris Kelvin

Reaction score
British Warm.jpg
British Warm coat 2.jpg

Here's my British Warm coat tailored by Moseley & Pounsford in 1971, which I bought on eBay for the hefty price of £42.

It fits me rather perfectly, with the exception that the sleeves are a bit too short — ending a couple of centimetres above my natural wrist.

The cuff buttons are functional.

I'll try to post a photo of me wearing it.

corpseposeur

Reaction score
I recently bought this vintage Brooks Brothers coat on Ebay. It is the warmest coat that I have. It has a real beaver fur collar, heavy charcoal grey/black wool, and what I think is a faux fur lining. I've been using it to walk my dog as I can just throw it on over a t-shirt or a sweater, pop the collar and be totally comfortable in 20F degree weather.

Attachments

• vint-brooks-fur-collar-0.jpg
    vint-brooks-fur-collar-0.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 158

Chris Kelvin

Reaction score
View attachment 1542654 View attachment 1542655

Here's my British Warm coat tailored by Moseley & Pounsford in 1971, which I bought on eBay for the hefty price of £42.

It fits me rather perfectly, with the exception that the sleeves are a bit too short — ending a couple of centimetres above my natural wrist.

The cuff buttons are functional.

I'll try to post a photo of me wearing it.

Yours truly modelling this coat. Note those features that distinguish it from most BW's — a deeper, mustardy colour; higher button stance; semi-peak lapels; no epaulettes. According to the label inside — dating the coat's make to 1971 — it was bespoke for an Army officer.

The thick Melton fleece really does keep you snug in the negative single digits Celsius.

As an aside, I much prefer the deeper collar and lapels of earlier BW's — refer to the third photo.

Attachments

• photo_2021-02-01_17-00-04.jpg
    photo_2021-02-01_17-00-04.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 175
  • photo_2021-02-01_17-00-44.jpg
    photo_2021-02-01_17-00-44.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 309
  • Churchill and Sikorski.jpg
    Churchill and Sikorski.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yours truly modelling this coat. Note those features that distinguish it from most BW's — a deeper, mustardy colour; higher button stance; semi-peak lapels; no epaulettes. According to the label inside — dating the coat's make to 1971 — it was bespoke for an Army officer.

The thick Melton fleece really does keep you snug in the negative single digits Celsius.

As an aside, I much prefer the deeper collar and lapels of earlier BW's — refer to the third photo.

Excellent, Yes, this is very much how the heavier Melton cloth drapes. If choosing a warm overcoat to layer under, it's the best. The only warmer options after this are things like shearling and fur linings.

Knurt

Reaction score
OK, I think I managed to accomplish what I set out to find, namely a warm and shapely overcoat. I just received this slightly used Attolini coat that seems to me to be made from densely woven rather coarse yarn. Not too long, not very heavy (which cuts both ways). Quite possibly made from Fox Brothers cloth? In time for winter.

1639745725067.png

1639745807858.png

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads