• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Warm overcoats

duffyfluffy123

Reaction score
These got posted from dieworkwear thread. About 1200€ regular price made by Ring jacket for Andrea Seoul

Also Sehkelly coat in 28oz. Not a fan of the fabric but is heavy.

Najnar

Supporting Member
Reaction score
These got posted from dieworkwear thread. About 1200€ regular price made by Ring jacket for Andrea Seoul

Also Sehkelly coat in 28oz. Not a fan of the fabric but is heavy.
For some reason I only see the green donegal stocked for the Andrea Seoul one.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@dieworkwear

Hypothetical scenario:

You still live in Chicago, blistering winds, mainly dress casually. What is your go to overcoat?

I know you've mentioned in the past that Bal's and SBs look better worn open, and you tend to do that.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@dieworkwear

Hypothetical scenario:

You still live in Chicago, blistering winds, mainly dress casually. What is your go to overcoat?

I know you've mentioned in the past that Bal's and SBs look better worn open, and you tend to do that.

Currently having a polo coat made by Steed. I would probably go with that, although the coat hasn't been finished yet.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
@dieworkwear

Hypothetical scenario:

When I lived in Chicago, my warmest overcoat was a vintage British Warm in a camel color from Paul Stuart. Picked up the coat for maybe 50 bucks and still wear it quite a bit even though there are clearly a few spots where moths have taken a nibble. It is heavy as anything. I wouldn't be surprised if someone told me that the fabric is over 40 oz. I wear it kind of casually sometimes with an ocbd, crewneck sweater, cords, chunky wool socks and alden unlined loafers. When I wear it casually I wear it open. Because the coat is so heavy and chunky it drapes interestingly when worn open and when I put my hands in the pockets the ripples are quite big. This all makes it much more casual than one might expect. It also has leather buttons and that helps with the casualness. I think the thickness of the fabric is a big part of what makes it work well as a casual overcoat. I also have a vintage polo coat in a grey herringbone in a much more normal overcoat weight and I think it is much more formal because it drapes more normally (and because the color is more formal).

As DWW mentioned above, polo coats are nice. The details are more casual than those on a British Warm, but as the example I gave shows, there are other details to pay attention to such as weight and color.

Something like this or this could also be nice.

Last edited:

Najnar

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interestingly, I once talked about buying a RL polo coat with a sales rep at the RL flagship on Michigan Ave, and he warned me that I would need to wear a technical liner or something under it because "the wind rips right through these things". Maybe the RL version uses a lighter weight cloth (which would be disappointing considering the price).

4r36

Reaction score
I approve the idea of the polo coat. They are extremely versatile. A few days ago I managed to get this vintage RL. I think it's very nice

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Knurt

Reaction score
Interestingly, I once talked about buying a RL polo coat with a sales rep at the RL flagship on Michigan Ave, and he warned me that I would need to wear a technical liner or something under it because "the wind rips right through these things". Maybe the RL version uses a lighter weight cloth (which would be disappointing considering the price).

I used to have a RL Pea Coat that was pretty warm. I really liked it, and used it to its death.

TomTom

Reaction score
These babys from Walker Slater would do the job.Full length, heavy Melton fabric ,great style and amazing finishing..Plus very affordable..Btw..I have the Burgundy one and everytime I wear it I get nothing but compliments.

Attachments

• 455tsowq.jpeg
    455tsowq.jpeg
    77.8 KB · Views: 63

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I lived in Chicago, my warmest overcoat was a vintage British Warm in a camel color from Paul Stuart. Picked up the coat for maybe 50 bucks and still wear it quite a bit even though there are clearly a few spots where moths have taken a nibble. It is heavy as anything. I wouldn't be surprised if someone told me that the fabric is over 40 oz. I wear it kind of casually sometimes with an ocbd, crewneck sweater, cords, chunky wool socks and alden unlined loafers. When I wear it casually I wear it open. Because the coat is so heavy and chunky it drapes interestingly when worn open and when I put my hands in the pockets the ripples are quite big. This all makes it much more casual than one might expect. It also has leather buttons and that helps with the casualness. I think the thickness of the fabric is a big part of what makes it work well as a casual overcoat. I also have a vintage polo coat in a grey herringbone in a much more normal overcoat weight and I think it is much more formal because it drapes more normally (and because the color is more formal).

As DWW mentioned above, polo coats are nice. The details are more casual than those on a British Warm, but as the example I gave shows, there are other details to pay attention to such as weight and color.

Hmm, I've found DB coats look funky when worn open unless they're borderline too slim.

Pics of this would be helpful.

jayvee

Reaction score

These babys from Walker Slater would do the job.Full length, heavy Melton fabric ,great style and amazing finishing..Plus very affordable..Btw..I have the Burgundy one and everytime I wear it I get nothing but compliments.

I like walker slater but they have annoyingly little information about their products.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
Hmm, I've found DB coats look funky when worn open unless they're borderline too slim.

Pics of this would be helpful.

Sure. I think a lot depends on the coat and the cloth--I think this works better with something chunkier--but here are some pics of this that look good (at least to my eye).

Simon often wears his DBs open. Here is a pic I like from a recent article of his. There are more pictures of the coat worn open in the article.

1604442953697.png

Here is another article from Simon where e wears a DB open. I think it looks good albeit not as good because the make and cloth are more formal.

1604443251997.png

Above is another look that I think is good.
And here is another look from Simon. He wears his overcoats open a lot.
1604443468161.png

Here is a coat from Anglo-Italian worn open and here are two more.
You can also drape a db over your shoulders like this. The overall outfit is dandy, but the coat looks good to my eye. It is the same coat I linked to in my previous comment.
Here are a number of pics of Yukio Akamine: 1, 2, 3.
And here is one final pic.
1604443927476.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads