• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Warm overcoats

Sartorium

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IDK. Hippos' conservation status is vulnerable and same with polar bears. If these animals are a threat to us, I think sometimes it is appropriate to consider what we are doing wrong.

Also, not so sure on the waste point. There is a tendency to think of these things solely in terms of harm, but I am not sure that captures the whole picture. I think harm is an important part of the picture, but there are other things to consider. For example, we wouldn't eat or use the fur of pets that died of natural causes (nor would we use the skin of humans who died of natural causes for warmth) even though not using their body parts in this way would be "wasting" them. If harm was all that mattered, then it would be okay to eat our deceased pets.

Well, I wanted to get a pair of gloves or something made from my first dog, to have a keepsake of him with me always. I'm glad I went for the tattoo instead so I don't have to explain to people what the **** I'm wearing.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I take no ethical stance one way or another on the wearing of fur except to say that I have no illusions about my own uses of animal materials being completely innocent, which I understand doesn't exempt me from the criticisms of others should I choose to wear fur.

I could add a host of reasons, such as fur's superiority of warmth, the irony of holding humans accountable for actions which are commonplace in the natural world, or the laws of natural selection, etc but I won't.

We all have reasons for our beliefs, which are hopefully grounded in good sense and our own principles. I'd never judge another for abiding by their principles, whatever I think.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about this? I'd want it longer.

the-trent-mid-length-natural-raccoon-pea-coat-for-men-p-3612.jpg

Sartorium

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

jayvee

Reaction score

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about Thomas Farthing coats. I wonder how warm those are.
An update, I e-mailed them about the fabric weight for the Horsley raglan coat, it's 600g.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An update, I e-mailed them about the fabric weight for the Horsley raglan coat, it's 600g.

Seems a bit light - not bad for a topcoat weight or something with more of a lining, though.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems a bit light - not bad for a topcoat weight or something with more of a lining, though.
I'm not sure how these calculations work tbh.

I see grams, gsm, and oz used, and not sure how they compare.

I have a coat labelled as 650gsm, and I've found it to work for most winters for me with a good scarf and gloves and sometimes a shawl cardigan underneath. I find it a decent weight. I'm not out beyond 10-15 minutes though.

600g would probably work for me, I run pretty hot.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how these calculations work tbh.

I see grams, gsm, and oz used, and not sure how they compare.

I have a coat labelled as 650gsm, and I've found it to work for most winters for me with a good scarf and gloves and sometimes a shawl cardigan underneath. I find it a decent weight. I'm not out beyond 10-15 minutes though.

600g would probably work for me, I run pretty hot.

I just run the conversions in my head - not sure if they even teach those anymore, but I think in ounces.

Call it neurotic, but I like to have a coat for everything! So I have lighter topcoats too for those days where I'm only out 15 minutes or so. I think it also works better in this case because the overcoat is belted, and a heavier fabric wouldn't do this as well.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just run the conversions in my head - not sure if they even teach those anymore, but I think in ounces.

Call it neurotic, but I like to have a coat for everything! So I have lighter topcoats too for those days where I'm only out 15 minutes or so. I think it also works better in this case because the overcoat is belted, and a heavier fabric wouldn't do this as well.
What you call neurotic, I call a good excuse to buy more coats! I'm going down the same path lately.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What you call neurotic, I call a good excuse to buy more coats! I'm going down the same path lately.

It's hard to resist a good one. I have a particular preference for black cashmere, for some reason. It takes the colour well.

Najnar

Reaction score
The Andover Shop has a handsome but expensive Alpaca coat from Chrysalis. I don't know the weight, though.

jayvee

Reaction score
The Andover Shop has a handsome but expensive Alpaca coat from Chrysalis. I don't know the weight, though.

O’Connell’s used to offer these and rated them down to -20c . I was sceptical of that as I had a alpaca fur overcoat and it’s not that warm, but then again I don’t know the thickness. Weirdly can’t see that on the chrysalis website.

Sartorium

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh boyyyyyy that hits a lot of my check marks

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very Classic Ivy "storm coat" .
Looks like the new owners of Andover Shop
are maintaining their tradition.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads