• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Warm overcoats

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone make warm overcoats anymore? If I do not want a down filled coat, and certainly not a shearling, are there any options of warm and elegant overcoats of medium to long length?

Yes. I have a grey, herringbone Harris Tweed overcoat which is even warmer than usual because it has a quilted internal lining. It’s very similar to the one in this link:

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Melton is heavy and warm.
Loden is very tightly woven and wind resistant and practically water-proof.
Heavy tweeds are warm.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Loden coats. Made in Austria ones. Got two, one by Burberrys (they probably just stuck their name on it as it's made in Austria), and one by Steinbock. Warm and you can wear a jacket under.

Loden.JPG

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I lived in Russia, I was fine in layers. A thick wool baselayer, then a thick oxford shirt, and then a sweater, and then even a fairly lightweight piece of outerwear, such as a waxed cotton coat. But if you wanted something heavier and warmer, there are plenty of places that sell heavy overcoats. O'Connell's has a bunch. I imagine things such as polo coats at Ralph Lauren and Brooks Brothers are still made from a heavy cloth.

Why were you in Russia

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was dating a woman at the time (an American woman) and we both moved there for work. We were there during the 2011 protests against Putin. Was really quite an experience to see that upfront.

So what you are saying is you are trained in espionage

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the other side of the coin, I was just outside for 10 minutes, and came back in my office.
I then disrobed and used a cordless leaf blower to dry my short sleeved shirt, which had soaked through.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a very warm overcoat from Polo RL.....it’s the Harrison model with a 3-button covered placket. Super warm for an overcoat - feels like a big warm hug when worn. I even went back and bought the same coat in a different color. If your up for the challenge, you should hunt one down from eBay or the like.

alternatively, Herno makes a nice overcoat with a very slim down membrane on the inside - Looks completely normal when worn but has that down-filled layer inside. I’m still kicking myself for not buying it from when Barney’s had then on sale :(

Good luck on your search!

Pandaros

Reaction score
As someone else intimated, it has to be accepted that down coats surpass traditional overcoats for keeping you warm. A trip to any national gallery to see paintings in winter time will show you the number of layers people had to wear. Take this photograph for example of man dressed for winter - and this is only in Ireland!

Even if you get the heaviest overcoat - and I have one from the Navy - you still have to wear layers.

LeStrange%20Original095.jpg

BoomDiggs

Reaction score
I had one made by Luxire. That may be more effort intensive than some will want to go, though. To help with sizing, I sent them a coat I already owned but did not like. I then picked out my cloth, requested several style changes over the sample coat, and had a trial fitting. I now I have a coat I love.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In case anyone still needed an overcoat for this winter...

Parkas are very insulating, but wool has the advantage of being not only more durable, but also the ability to keep you warm should it get wet. This is the biggest advantage for natural fibres - the only way to replicate its function is to have a waterproof shell on the parka, but even that will be useless if it tears, for example.

The warmest thing is to have a fur coat or an overcoat made with fur lining, and especially a fur collar that can be drawn up around the face, because your breath won't freeze on it. Something like a melton cloth which approaches 32-40oz would also work well with layers. The best option is probably custom, unless there are furriers in your city who can make one up to wear.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the U.K. people stopped wearing so much clothing. Raincoats disappeared as folk prefer to take a chance on getting wet and cars are used more than in previous generations. Men walk around in shorts in Winter too.

There are plenty of good overcoats available used for next to nothing.

Standard formal coats in cold places like Russia are dark Crombie overcoats with a fur hat, scarf and gloves.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In case anyone still needed an overcoat for this winter...

Parkas are very insulating, but wool has the advantage of being not only more durable, but also the ability to keep you warm should it get wet. This is the biggest advantage for natural fibres - the only way to replicate its function is to have a waterproof shell on the parka, but even that will be useless if it tears, for example.

The warmest thing is to have a fur coat or an overcoat made with fur lining, and especially a fur collar that can be drawn up around the face, because your breath won't freeze on it. Something like a melton cloth which approaches 32-40oz would also work well with layers. The best option is probably custom, unless there are furriers in your city who can make one up to wear.
I'm an overcoat fanboy, but there's a lot of Parkas out there with a highly durable exterior, the possibility of tearing or getting wet not being likely.

I've a peacoat with 32 oz melton wool, and it's not the most pliable material either. 32+ oz cloth is a bit hard to find, and also much more expensive.

I think the only advantage overcoats have over parkas is the aesthetic.

O'Connell's used to have a greatcoat that was whipcord, and lined with thick alpaca fur as well.

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm an overcoat fanboy, but there's a lot of Parkas out there with a highly durable exterior, the possibility of tearing or getting wet not being likely.

I've a peacoat with 32 oz melton wool, and it's not the most pliable material either. 32+ oz cloth is a bit hard to find, and also much more expensive.

O'Connell's used to have a greatcoat that was whipcord, and lined with thick alpaca fur as well.
I just got a peacoat that fits perfectly this year and it's my favorite piece of clothing I own (probably until next spring anyway).

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Right, and urban environments aren't likely to cause enough wear and tear to parkas, I agree. Sometimes we get a lot of freezing rain in my area though, so wool can be more useful than a parka which may not have taped seams, be breathable, etc.

Anything over 32oz will certainly be quite expensive. I think some of the mobility will come down to cut, as one of my coats is around 40oz and quite warm, but also not very restricting. (it was an officer's tailor, so that helps)

I am not sure about the alpaca, which I've only used for linings, but that coat sounds warm. I'm usually fine with a cashmere sweater and peacoat, personally, until it gets down to around -25c.

One thing I've never understood is the tendency of some to get these great, big coats and then go without a hat, gloves, or scarf. Long socks, lined gloves, and a fur ushanka or similar are all classic and super practical.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads