• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wardrobe

megabiscoito

Reaction score
I'm new here but would like to know how to construct a wardrobe and figure out which clothes could go better with me?

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Style Forum! There are so many ways to build a wardrobe, but start with what you already have. What clothes do you have that you just love?

Then ask yourself, what styles do you notice on others that you love?

Anachronist

Reaction score
Hi megabiscoito,

What would help is maybe a picture of you (if you prefer anonymity, just omit or blur the face) and maybe a rough description of dress requirements at your work or the desired look/looks like hat you like... this will give other readers and me some boundaries within which to give some recommendations.

megabiscoito

Reaction score
Hi megabiscoito,

What would help is maybe a picture of you (if you prefer anonymity, just omit or blur the face) and maybe a rough description of dress requirements at your work or the desired look/looks like hat you like... this will give other readers and me some boundaries within which to give some recommendations.
I need to find a photo of mine. Do you want see my physionomy or the type of clothes.
A style I like is like the one of these photos I found. I had to omit the rest of the photo. But I like this type with a Pin? / Fantasy Shirt, Elegant Casual Troussers and Chelsea Boots? This is like a clássica look but with a more of provocative / bold side? Am I saying non sense?

I need to find you more photos if not yet have an idea.
Eduardo1.jpeg
Eduardo2.jpeg

Anachronist

Reaction score
That makes absolute sense for me, thanks megabiscoito :)

The reason for asking about a picture was to get an idea of your physiognomy, to judge what would suit you best, but I understand this a touchy topic and not everyone wants to share this information online, so don't feel pressured. We'll work with whatever guidance you provide on preferences.

Before we move on, just a few words of advice: One of the great errors of or time and of fashion in my opinion is that people form the perception they need to cultivate a personal "signature look" or personal style (note the difference to the term of "having style", which expresses your ability to dress well and with class in the eyes of beholders - two completely different things!) that people believe they need to wear to all occasions, formal or casual alike. I admit that I am much of an advocate for dressing appropriately for each occasion, not so much because of being a stickler for traditions or "rules" (though I deeply believe that before being able to break them and not look like an idiot, you need to master them first), moreover this approach forces you to diversify your dressing habits and extends the breadth and depth of your mastery of different looks and ultimately makes wearing clothes so much more exciting and less uniform and boring.

Now that I got that confession and recommendation out, back to your desired style. First of all, the looks you shared in the pictures are definitely casual and will work for private time and only the most relaxed business environments. A good and easy starting point because the male fashion industry caters to this look quite a bit at the moment. Not sure where you live, but at least in Europe, I can recommend for the type of shirts you are looking at the following scandinavian, swiss and german shirt makers (they aren't the cheapest, but quality is good and you can regularly buy them well reduced during sales as they change their collection frequently:
https://stenstroms.com/en
https://www.etonshirts.com/eu/
https://www.asoni.ch
https://www.vanlaack.com/en/men/

For stylish socks, I have made very good experiences with the German maker Falke: https://www.falke.com/uk_en/men

For trousers, you can go with virtually anything from a nice pair of jeans (Go with quality ones and avoid the regular highstreet brands like Levis, they are cheaply made and poorly cut... if you see someone wearing them, watch how the side seams on the pants move forwards further down towards the foot; Baldessarini is e.g. a far better choice and worth its money, however others may have some good recommendations as well) or nice chinos or light woolen slacks. For the latter, the German manufacturer Hiltl makes impeccable trousers: https://www.hiltl.de/_eng/index.php

I'd personally start with maybe four trousers: navy blue and medium grey woolen slacks, a pair of khaki chinos and a nice pair of jeans. Shirt-wise, have at least one decent plain ligt blue and white shirt for the occasional more formal event and a few of the colorful fashion forward shirts (don't overdo it on these though; over time I find the look and pleasure in these garments wears off a bit and often I find that the plain shirts offer for more dressing options combined with different sweaters, waistcoats, etc.). All you then need to start are maybe two sport coats, a tweed, cashmere or flannel one for the winter and lighter one made e.g. with linen or silk for sommer. Go with a darker color like navy for winter and, if you like, a lighter color for summer.
If you need a suit for formal occasions at work or private (weddings etc.), chose one in navy blue (with only little to no pattern) and you can't go wrong.

So much for a start...

megabiscoito

Reaction score
Thank you for the very much useful information

From shirts what I like the most were Asoni and Vanlack.

From trousers I liked both: Hilt and Baldisarini.

And I'm curious to know even much brands besides the ones I already know, like you showed me [emoji3]

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads