• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Wardrobe Upgrade out of bad Business Casual - Thoughts?

dbyrne36

Reaction score
Hi all. Been lurking off an on for years but haven't joined/posted. The information on this board has been very helpful and I have appreciated what I've learned. That said, I have hit a point in my life where I need to upgrade my wardrobe. I've had a number of slacks, shirts, and a couple jackets that have served me well, but between my body composition changing (fitter), normal wear and tear on clothes, and ultimately my boredom with the business casual (slacks and a sport shirt), I'm looking to make a major upgrade, but would like some opinions.

I'm looking at getting out of mediocre business casual and sartorial hell!

I've been wearing off the rack pieces, including Zegna, Zanella, Samuelsohn, and others in the general range. My frustration is that the fit is just OK in general and quality is hit or miss. What I'd like to move towards is wearing a nice pair of slacks and a nice sport coat most days to work and am willing to plunk down the necessary money to do so.

That said, I'm not sure what to do... do I hunt and pick for off the rack that fits well, do I try more MTM (I've done one that was just OK), or do I bite the bullet and go full bespoke? I really want to go full bespoke, but when you're looking at $4k to $5k for jacket and slacks, that's a large investment for just five days a week!

So, what say you? What would you do? What's the best blend, bang for the buck?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 59 17.5%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 112 33.2%
  • 8”

Votes: 102 30.3%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 36 10.7%
  • 9”

Votes: 13 3.9%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.1%