• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wardrobe update - Tailored suits

Holtskog

Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my very first post, but I have been an avid reader for a long time.

I will try to make this as short as possible.

I work in consulting, that translates to five days a week, every week, wearing a suit.
I have been in the business for about six years and during that time I've mostly worn:

1 Hugo B off the rack adjusted
1 Tiger off the rack adjusted
1 from Daves Tailor in shanghai
5 from Tony the tailor

Out of these now I've had to throw out 6 of the 8 due to worn trousers. I've kept some of the jackets, but I got limited closetspace and I plan on buying 5-7 new suits (3-4 reasonably fast, say within 2-3 months).

I have an athletic build so off the rack looks horrible on me. I got very broad shoulders and a slender torso.

I've read through what seems like a million posts now of W.W:Chan, Yao, Narin, Raj + + + and I am none the wiser.
In addition a lot of the threads seem to be rather old.

I got plenty of shirts (say 20-25 I order from Daves tailor), but I am looking to get, as I mentioned, 5-7 new suits.
I haven't quite decided on my budget yet, but I am not looking for cheap suits. I am prepared to spend at least 1300-1500 $ a suit or even a bit more (2000-2500) on some of the suits if I think the quality warrants it. My big question is then, what do I do?

1) Book a ticket to HK/Shanghai/Bangkok for 10 days and gamble on a whole ensamble from one of the "cheap" bespoke gurus
2) Try online options like mytailor with their best fabrics
3) Buy off the rack and adjust a lot (this is something I think I am not even considering, it's just up here to be thorough in my options)
4) Visit a MTM location in London
5) Start dating the daughter of someone on Saville row for major discounts

I would like advise on which of the options (or others I haven't thought of) you would recommend. I would also gladly take advice on what fit/style is best on my type of body.

Feel free to ask me questions here or in an IM if you got any

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OTR fits me fairly well so take that into consideration with this offering: needing 3-4 suits fairly quickly + [cheap] bespoke = inevitable failure, unless they've made and adjusted several suits already for you.

If I were in this situation I would try 2 online MTM places and order one suit from each with their best fabrics. When those arrived I would pick the better of the two and order another two suits from that place. I would then order an extra pair of pants for each suit.

Holtskog

Reaction score
What are the best MTM online sites then? I see a lot of them, mytailor, moderntailor, indochino etc.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never bought from any of them but a buddy of mine swears by mytailor and his stuff looks very good. Derek of PTO did a review of a suitsupply suit here.

Holtskog

Reaction score
Thank you, I will try a couple of MTM and see if they are way off, if they are not up to standards I will just have to man up and go for 2500-3000 bespoke options

Holtskog

Reaction score
mytailor has a VAST amount of fabrics. The most expensive is like [cheap] bespoke, kind of daunting for something you won't feel til it's ready in your hands.

Any got any advice besides going for known brands like hollands and sherry and vitale barberis

Also, it seems i cannot actually pick fabrics? I've found one i like, but there is no way i can put it into the bag or do something more with it?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads