• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wardrobe update/revamp for $3000.00?

mdg137

Reaction score
With the ever common "What should I buy with $XX.XX" threads, Or the comments like "Who spends the retail on this stuff"-- I thought Id post a bit on what you can do with judicious shopping--

This summer, I decide to do a serious restructuring of my wardrobe. I used to teach Modern European History, but awhile back quit and went to law school, and now am in private practice. My time in academia, and my other sideline as an artist/photographer didnt really require much in the way of dress. MY existing wardrobe was ok, but needed some additions and rounding out.

So I determined not just to update, but to see how efficient I could be. Between June and now, purchasing from ebay, other forum members, Nordstrom Rack, and watching for sales I managed to pull together the following, most of which was new with tags, for just a shade over $3000.00, including tailoring:

1 Dege Bespoke suit (from ebay)

14 Ties: Duchamp, BB, Talbott, T&A, mostly new, including a couple 7-folds.

20 Dress Shirts: T&A, Hilditch and Key, A couple CT's, a couple John W. Nordstrom (which are a steal if you can find them at the rack), and a couple Abboud Herringbone shirts.

A RLPL Shawl Collar Cashmere cardigan (a $285.00 splurge on ebay)

3 Belts

3 pairs of odd pants, RLPL gray flannel, Polo Cords, Polo Tweed pants

12 Casual shirts: T&A, A couple Pink (made in Ireland), 1 Orvis Tattersall

8 Pairs of AE's, 1 pair Peal (on sale at BB), one pair of lands end Chukka boots

1 Vicuna and Cashemere overcoat (Vintage, made in Hong Kong-- but with great hand detail)

1 Vintage Brooks Brothers Chesterfield

A Brooks Brothers Blue Velvet smoking jacket

And a few other odds and ends-- pocket squares, several pairs of vintage cufflinks, etc

The deals are out there, if youre willing to wait for the right items to come along. I am actually surprised at how easy it is, once you really start looking around.

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very cool. I think most everyone here takes advantage of deals. But its good to see the listing for folks who think it can't be done. I checked your site out. Interesting portrait photos. Would have liked a NSFW warning though
smile.gif

hadamulletonce

Reaction score
A great wardrobe for 3k. You're right about waiting and having some patience. You can grab some reallly solid deals if you take the time to shop around.

mdg137

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bmulford
I checked your site out. Interesting portrait photos. Would have liked a NSFW warning though
smile.gif

Thanks! Im pretty sure you have to at least do a little looking around before you hit the NSFW images...

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice site, and i did look!
The deals are out there IF you know WHAT to look for.

Regards.

JeffC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mdg137
1 Vicuna and Cashemere overcoat (Vintage, made in Hong Kong-- but with great hand detail)

Would this not be close to $3k (new) on it's own? Excellent post. I was just thinking about what I spend on clothes the other day. I didn't want to dwell on it, but next year, I'm setting a budget around $3-5k for the year.

Unufortunately, my body type dictates MTM shirts and expensive tailoring bills. That really hurts the batting average.

Jeff

mdg137

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JeffC
Would this not be close to $3k (new) on it's own? Excellent post. I was just thinking about what I spend on clothes the other day. I didn't want to dwell on it, but next year, I'm setting a budget around $3-5k for the year.

Unufortunately, my body type dictates MTM shirts and expensive tailoring bills. That really hurts the batting average.

Jeff

I share your pain-- almost every OTR shirt I buy requires having the chest and waist taken in, and the sleeves shortened-- My tailor gives me a substantial discount if I bring in many items at once though-- so I usually wait until I have an arm full to take in.

I sat down and went through the stuff, and figured on the far low end, intentionally underestimating the cost for the items-- paying retail I would have come in easily over $16,000.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads