• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wardrobe Revamp Help!

-tr

Reaction score
Hey guys. I've always intended to be fairly 'style conscious' but it hasn't always worked out. I'm now at the point where I'm due for a completely new wardrobe but need some help. I've tried searching around google for outfit ideas/brands etc. but evidently I don't know where to look..
confused.gif

So, I guess I'm just looking for some good brand suggestions and some pointers as to where I can find outfit and style samples (I'm not really, really into the super high fashion looks; just something fairly normalish
plain.gif
). Also for sizing I generally wear 30-34 jeans (lowrise) and medium shirts if they'll fit (durn things are usually too short and wayyy too fat).

Some brands I'm already interested in (mostly as result of my recent trip to NYC):
Diesel
Armani Exchange
Banana Republic
Buckle (BKE) Denim

I appreciate any help and if sorry if this isn't in the correct location..
bigstar[1].gif

armorarmylt

Reaction score
go to the what are you wearing thread, should give you a fairly good idea of how to put your self together(to suit you of course), lurk around here for a while, and you will start to get a good idea of everything from colors, to patterns, to ......well EVERYTHING!

Mr.P

Reaction score
It really depends on what you like. Listing brand names says nothing about your preferences because all of those brands offer a wide variety of clothes and styles. If you're not into the super-high fashion looks then I'd recommend something like Ralph Lauren - it's both classic and modern.

In the end, it's not about what brand you choose, but what you do with the clothes. If you're looking for a fairly normal but sophisticated look, try a pair of nice dark leather loafers, a pair of chinos and a polo or casual button-down shirt. You can't go wrong with that.

Also, always make sure your clothes fit you.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking stylish is a good goal, but that sounds potentially disastrous, like trashy and wasteful. (Buckle and Armani Exchange are lousy sources.) If you're going into the work world, or are already there, you should do whatever it takes to get quality help, even if that involves spending below. (The option below is less than the price of many clothing items.) Learning more by reading and of course providing enough information about you (what you look like, where you live, etc.) that people can give specific recommendations can help. Currently, Levi's and tailoring (to make store-bought shirts fit better) are about the only tips to give.

jeremyjoe

Reaction score
honestly it took me 2 years of tweaking and hti and misses until i was constistantly deamed "stylish"...l am not soo much into brand names, but more of what fits and and makes me feel more confident....low cut jeans not too expensive - guess, seven for mankind, levis.....try express or american apparel for basic clothes

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two years? People should ask for help instead of floundering.

Also, not Express, please. Most items there aren't worth it.

-tr

Reaction score
I have to admit, I have no clue what my intentions were coming into this thread but I just realized that I only have up until early december to find/start/finish an internship (finding one really sucks
plain.gif
), so I am going to be needing some business casual dress pretty soon. There was one other time which I really needed a business casual outfit and I went to JCPennys for it and it ended up being very malfitting and poor looking.
frown.gif

So for this go 'round I was thinking of trekking up to the Banana Republic in Kansas City. Generally speaking, would they have someone that would basically act as a 'stylist' to find my measurements etc.? Or is there somewhere better I should go??

thenanyu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by -tr
I have to admit, I have no clue what my intentions were coming into this thread but I just realized that I only have up until early december to find/start/finish an internship (finding one really sucks
plain.gif
), so I am going to be needing some business casual dress pretty soon. There was one other time which I really needed a business casual outfit and I went to JCPennys for it and it ended up being very malfitting and poor looking.
frown.gif

So for this go 'round I was thinking of trekking up to the Banana Republic in Kansas City. Generally speaking, would they have someone that would basically act as a 'stylist' to find my measurements etc.? Or is there somewhere better I should go??

It's not really about better or worse, it's about finding clothes that fit you. A super high thread count shirt made from the hair of angels will look bad if it blouses too much when you tuck it in.

BR is fine as far as quality. You should not depend on the salespersons (especially ones that work in large chain stores) to give you honest advice. They will never tell you that you look bad in something.

The main issue is fit. For business casual, here is my general advice.

Pants: they should rest where they are supposed to (for BR pants, they will usually be labeled as sits on waist or sits below waist) **without** the aid of a belt. If you need a belt to hold them in the position that they are labeled, size down in the waist. They should be long enough to touch the top of your shoes with about a 1-2 inch break - no longer. **No pleats**

Shirts: Stick with light colored shirts in a subtle pattern. To fit the chest, give yourself a hug - it should tug a little bit in the back. Reach your arms back - it should tug a little bit at the buttons. Length doesn't matter that much since you will be tucked. **Most important part** Get a tailor to fit the body of the shirt. Factor alteration fees as part of total coast of ownership.

Shoes: Brown or black lace-ups with a **round** toe. Wingtips, cap toe, plain toe are all fine. I don't like loafers for this situation.

You can find examples all over BR's website, (on this one, the pants are too long, notice the 5 inch break on the pants)
http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...&clink=1423239

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy a dress shirt (sized, e.g., 16-34/35, not L), an odd jacket (which should be mostly wool, single-breasted, with two or three buttons, probably in solid navy or dark gray), or whatever you need, have it tailored (assuming the tailor doesn't recommend returning it), and then you will have a good idea of how additional basics should fit, beyond the written description you were just given. If you need style advice, don't trust a salesperson. Although at a menswear store such as Jos. A. Bank, which has KC locations and is better for dress clothing than Banana Republic or a low-end department store, any of them should have a good idea of your correct size.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads